Absurdly Youthful Mother YKTTW Discussion
|Absurdly Youthful Mother|
When you subtract the age (or apparent age) of a child from that of their parent, Fridge Logic results. Typically done to justify a Hot Mom, but can sometimes lead to Unfortunate Implications. In Real Life, if a girl is able to conceive this does not imply she is physically able to sustain the pregnancy and give birth without danger to her health. Also, even though she might have a crush at that age, she probably cannot emotionally handle having sex well, let alone pregnancy and motherhood. That being said, in the USA the average age for the first menstrual cycle is 12.5 years. Please abstain from adding examples for teenage motherhood in Real Life here. Thank you.
Case I: A pregnancy at a rather young age is clearly implied or outright stated.
- Anime: In Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu, Hale is 10 while his mother Weda is 24. It's the reason she lives in the jungle: Her city family kicked her out.
- Webcomics: In El Goonish Shive, when Elliot's mother meets his female duplicate Ellen, she immediately accepts her as part of the family. She admits to herself that she always wanted a daughter, and that this time, she doesn't have to drop out.
- Leisure Suit Larry: Love For Sail has Nailmi and Wydoncha Jugg, a mother-and-daughter pair of country/western singers who look almost identical. This being Leisure Suit Larry, the game hangs a lampshade on this, implying that Nailmi gave birth to Wydoncha at an improbably young age.
- In the first episode of Gilmore Girls it is explicitly stated that Lorelei had Rory out of wedlock at age 16.
- Kodomo no Omocha: Sana's birth mother was eleven when she gave birth.
- Great Teacher Onizuka: Kunio Murai's mother was 13 when she gave birth to him. (It was a Surprise Pregnancy.) The Live-Action Adaptation ups the age.
- In Prince Of Tennis, Taka-san's friend Akutsu Jin from Yamabuki is fourteen, and his mother Yuuki is about 28. She insists on being called 'Yuuki-chan', even by Taka, leading to the other Seigaku regulars believing he has an older girlfriend. When they find out the truth, they freak and remark that she's a 'young mother'.
- Atsuko Urameshi gave birth to Yusuke when she was just 15.
- The mother in Go Nagai's Delinquent In Drag (not sure what the Japanese title was) gave birth to the title character in her early teens, explicitly stated in dialogue.
- Gender reversed in The Shipping News, where the protagonist calculates that his grandfather must have been about 11 when he fathered a child. His aunt's reply is simply: "You don't know Newfoundlanders."
Case II: A parent apparently remaried, to someone much younger.
- From Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure:
Ted: [whispering to Bill] Your stepmom's cute.Bill: Shut up, Ted.Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Case III: The ages are normal, but the parent looks younger.
- Yuki's mother in Grandia III, who is 34 while he is sixteen, but looks about twenty. For most of the game, they have more of a sibling relationship than a typical parent/child one, made clearest by the fact that Yuki calls her "Miranda" rather than "Mom."
- Seen It a Million Times in advertising.
Case IV: Children are born, then their age is Retconned.This is SORAS.
Case V: Reasons like Time Travel, Magic, Bizarre Alien Biology or Really 700 Years Old characters.
- You might not suspect it, but Drowtales' Queen Diva is a great grandma.
- Tenchi Muyo! has several of these, perhaps most notably Washu being Ryoko's mother, despite the fact that Washu actually looks younger than Ryoko.
- RahXephon has Quon, Ayato's "mom", who has been kept in stasis. Making her the same age as he is, and about half the age of his twin brother (Ayato too was kept in a kind of stasis)
- In the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta Iolanthe, the hero Stephron is half-fairy. Fairies are unaging and Stephron has a hard time explaining to his beloved that these nubile women he is seen embracing are, in fact, his mother and his aunts, all of whom look younger than him.
- Tsugumi in Ever17 doesn't look much older than her sixteen-year-old children, as she stopped aging at seventeen. You's mother is a more conventional really-young-looking parent... because her "daughter" is really a clone of herself that she had made when she was diagnosed with a terminal illness in her teens.
- In one Sandman volume it's remarked that Orpheus' mother doesn't seem old enough to be his mother. This is understandable, since she is Calliope, an immortal muse from Greek myth. Less understandable is that despite being the child of Dream of the Endless and Calliope, Orpheus seems to be aging normally for a human...
- Cable is about twice the age of both his parents.
- In The Jetsons, Jane is thirty-three and Judy is sixteen.
- In Dragon Ball Z, it's never stated how old Bulma's mother Mrs. Briefs◊ is.