FactionMotto Faction Motto YKTTW Discussion
The essense of an organization summed up in a snappy inscription.
The Missing Supertrope to Pretentious Latin Motto and Badass Creed. Some organizations in fiction as well as Real Life like to introduce themselves with a motto that sums up their mission, philosophy, and attitude. It is often found written across their crests, logos, or emblems and can double as Arc Words. Not to be confused with a Battle Cry, which is something shouted in the heat of battle, while a motto is usually written down somewhere (although the two may overlap).
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Mai-HiME has the SEARRS Foundation, with "For the Golden Millennium", which is prominently displayed on the OS of one of their android agents.
- Gurren Lagann has the Gurren Brigade's motto "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I/WE AM/ARE!?"
- Neon Genesis Evangelion has Nerv's "God's in his heaven, all's right with the world."
- Each noble house in A Song of Ice and Fire has a motto, such as the Starks' "Winter is Coming", the Targaryen "Fire and Blood", the Lannister "Hear me Roar!" (their more indicative unofficial motto is "Lannisters always pay their debts"), Tully "Family, Duty, Honor", Tyrell "Growing Strong", Baratheon "Ours is the Fury", Martell "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken", and Arryn "As High as the Honor".
- Likewise, the ducal houses in Reflections of Eterna have their family mottoes: Alvas (House of the Wind) have "Against the Wind", Epines (House of the Lightning) have "Heralds Victory", Pridds (House of the Waves) have "From the Depths", and Oakdells (House of the Rocks) have "Firm and Unshakable".
- In the Isaac Asimov's Robot 'verse, the unofficial motto of U.S. Robots & Mechanical Men, Inc. is "No employee makes the same mistake twice. He is fired the first time."
- Discworld has a handful of examples, most of them being in Canis Latinicus:
- "Quanti Canicvla Illa In Fenestra" (How much is that doggy in the window) for the City of Ankh-Morpork
- "Fabricati Diem Pvnc" for the Ankh-Morpork City Watch. It's officially translated as "To protect and serve".(It's actually "Make my day, punk" in Canis Latinicus).
- "Non Temetis Messor" (Don't fear the Reaper) for Mort, Duke of Sto Helit, Death's apprentice.
- See more examples here.
- Harry Potter:
- The five factions in Might and Magic: Heroes VI:
- The Haven: "Born in the sacred light of Elrath, sworn to spread it all over Ashan."
- The Sanctuary: "We strive for perfection in Shalassa's worship."
- The Stronghold: "We walk our own path, alone."
- The Necropolis: "Life is change, chaos, filth and suffering. Death is peace, order, everlasting beauty."
- The Inferno: "We will burn the world to ashes and dance upon its ruins!"
- The Assassins in Assassin's Creed have "Nothing is true, Everything is permitted," while their rivals, The Knights Templar, have "May the Father of Understanding guide us."
- In Pokémon Gold and Silver, you can find Team Rocket's motto by reading a book in their underground base. It says: "Steal Pokemon for profit. Exploit Pokemon for profit. All Pokemon exist for the glory of Team Rocket."
- In Dynasty Warriors 7, the Shu Kingdom's motto can be summarized as "Benevolence" (with emphasis, as it is often spoken with much well, benevolence), i.e. value the land's people first over efficiency or profit. seen here.
- In The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, The Vigilant of Stendarr are a Knight Templar organization, sponsored by the church of Stendarr (who is, ironically, the setting's god of mercy) to hunt down and destroy vampires, werewolves, daedra worshipers and anyone else deemed to be violating the teachings of the Eight Divines. Their motto is "Stendarr grant you mercy, for the Vigil has none to spare."
- SCP Foundation: "We secure. We contain. We protect."
- Warships tend to have these. For example, the Aircraft Carrier USS Harry Truman has the motto "The buck stops here".
- The US of A have "In God We Trust" on their money bills.
- Semper Fi are always faithful.
- The United Kingdom has:
- "Dieu et mon droit"note or "This Green and Pleasant Land" for England (and sometimes Britain in general).
- "In my defens[sic] God me defend" or "Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"note for Scotland.
- "Cymru am byth"note for Wales.
- "Quis separabit"note for Northern Ireland.
- There are way too many real-life heraldic mottoes to list them all here.