OffingTheMouth Offing The Mouth YKTTW Discussion
|Offing The Mouth|
A Snarker ends up dead because he won't shut his mouth.Needs Examples Description Needs Help Already have? Better Name Better Name Better Name
Sometimes, it doesn't pay to be a Deadpan Snarker. People don't like people that mock them, and sometimes this results in said people killing the snarker. It can be the end result of being the victim of a long time of constant snarking, a slip of the tongue around somebody with a Hair-Trigger Temper, or just because somebody had a bad day, but regardless, the snarker can and will end up dead because of his snarkatude. Likely to be Killed Mid-Sentence. This usually happens with villains and their mooks, because the Big Bad is a Bad Boss, or between a Big Bad Ensemble, but it can sometimes happen with the more gritty Antiheroes, and is occasionally is Truth in Television, though in real life it usually takes a lot. One of the reasons that a villain might hate and try to kill the hero is because of this trope, though they rarely succeed. If the snarker merely gets his ass kicked because of his snark, that is Not This Trope, unless the assailant was actively trying to kill the snarker. Success or failure to actually kill the snarker is irrelevant to this trope. See Deadpan Snarker, who is most frequently the victim of this, with Snark-to-Snark Combat this trope can be the end result. Compare Do Not Taunt Cthulhu and Bullying a Dragon, which is when snarkers mock those it's pretty obvious they shouldn't, so these can sometimes overlap. Also compare to Killed to Uphold the Masquerade, which is another example of somebody being killed for (at least potentially) talking too much. This intersects with Rant Inducing Slight and Rage Breaking Point.
- Digimon Tamers. Beelzebumon does this to Makuramon.
Makuramon: What are you doing? If you continue this fight, not only will this domain of our gods be destroyed, but the whole world!Beelzebumon: Shut up...Makuramon: Foolish Chatsuramon... Why did he allow you to evolve?Beelzebumon: I said shut up! *Grabs Makuramon's head and crushes it*
- Batman. The number of times that Gotham City mooks have been killed by their bosses precisely for this reason could fill up a page in and of itself.
- Spider-Man, being a Deadpan Snarker extraordinare invokes this trope deliberately when he fights his enemies, to make them so pissed off they don't notice whatever plan he's setting them up for.
- It. Richie Tozier is a largely involuntary Deadpan Snarker who must mock others whenever he notices something he can mock people for, and this is the reason Henry Bowers is out to get him, and along with the others of the Losers, out to kill him.
- In the Discworld novel Unseen Academicals, the intellectual but totally unstreetwise Orc Mr Nutt gets this treatment from a gang of proto-football hooligans. His mistake was to try to engage them in debate on mob psychology and the sociopathology of overcrowded juvenile male rats. Nutt gets stabbed and left for dead by the gang.
- In Goodfellas Tommy beats Billy Batts to death because Billy "breaks his balls" over being a former shoeshine boy.
- James Bond License To Kill: The drug kingpin Big Bad has an accountant as a helper that gets more and more snarky about the money loss that the typical James Bond-brand Roaring Rampage of Revenge is giving them (Supervillain Lair-slash-drug lab blown up sky-high, Evil Minions killed, secret stolen MacGuffin military weapons that they were going to sell on the black market wasted on trying to kill Bond, etc) as the movie goes on.
- In Community's second season Christmas Episode, "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas," Planet Christmas has the"humbugs," a swarm of Christmas insects that devour anyone who's sarcastic. Jeff, who is incapable of not being snarky, is quickly eaten up by the bugs leaving behind only a skeleton.
- In FalloutNewVegas You can sell companion Arcade Gannon into slavery as Caesar's personal physician and then arrange for him to die in the quest Et Tumor Brute.
- Socrates called himself a "Social Gadfly" for precisely this reason. He's say outrageous or taboo things simply to bring them into conversation, while knowing full well he was putting himself in danger by saying them and, like a gadfly, could be "swatted" at any time. Indeed, he was eventually executed on charges of corrupting the youth for with his words.