In the stock plot about the rookie in some sport trying for the championship, this is the character who helps the rookie develop his potential. He may not be (and often isn't) a professional trainer; what he is always is a washed-up former competitor in whatever the sport is. He may be helping out as a way of recapturing his glory days. It may specifically be that he tried for and never quite won the championship himself, so this is a way of winning it vicariously.
- Mickey Rooney's character in National Velvet.
- Mickey Rooney's character in The Black Stallion.
- Hugh Jackman's character in Real Steel, judging by the promo material.
- Caliban in the Babylon 5 episode "TKO".
- Mickey Goldmill in Rocky.
- And Rocky himself in Rocky V, who trains Tommy Gun.
- The Simpsons, "The Homer They Fall": Moe trains Homer as a boxer, and was a former boxer himself.
- Rip Torn's character in Dodgeball.
- Philocetes from Hercules.
- Old Jingle from Robbie the Reindeer.
- Haymitch from The Hunger Games.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable