Monochrome Apparition YKTTW Discussion
Apparitions are rendered with only one color.
Bedsheet apparition is depicted in values of only one color, often white/grey or blue. If there is an exception, however, it will be for the eyes. This refers to a disembodied apparition of some kind that appears in a full-color work and is monochrome for the purpose of showing that it isn't a physical presence. Compare Monochrome Past, Deliberately Monochrome and Undeathly Pallor. Contrast Living Shadow.
Examples:Anime & Manga
- In the Pokémon episode "The Tower of Terror", after Ash & Pikachu are (temporarily) killed by a chandelier falling on them, their spirits are a bluish-white.
- In a couple of DC comics stories (Animal Man, Suicide Squad) the authors wrote themselves into the story and appeared as black & white images.
- Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey: When B&T are dead they're grayish-blue.
- All the ghosts in Casper are ghostly white.
- Coraline: The ghost children are a pale blueish color.
- In Ghostbusters, most of the human-esque ghosts are depicted this way.
- The ghosts in Disney's The Haunted Mansion film are whitish-blue, as are many of the ghosts in the actual ride.
- In the British comedy How I Won The War, the soldiers of a platoon keep marching even after they are killed. The Stock Footage of each battle is tinted a different color, so each ghost soldier is the color of the battle they died in.
- Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark has a white specter appear near the ending.
- In The Muppet Christmas Carol, Marley and Marley are pale blue.
- Force ghosts in Star Wars are blue.
- The ghosts in the Harry Potter books are described as 'pearly white', with the exception of Peeves. In the movies they are merely desaturated, however.
- The Lady of the Lake in Kaamelott is pale blue when she appears to King Arthur.
- In Supernatural, the ghost of a silent film star in the episode "Hollywood Babylon" was rendered in black and white, as well as the ghost of company founder P. T. Sandover in "It's A Terrible Life". Some other ghosts or death echoes in the series are static-y black and white as well, but often there is some color, particularly red blood to highlight various wounds they suffered when they died.
- The X-Files:
- "Elegy": People reported seeing injured pale women trying to convey a message. It was found out that at those moments, the women were already killed and they were seeing their ghosts, all in pale blue colour.
- In "Tithonus", Alfred Fellig can recognize who is about to die. He sees the people going black and white when they are dying, while the background stays fully coloured. (Inverse of Splash of Colour.)
- Saturday Night Live: In a filmed sketch parodying tween comedies, a commercial for The Disney Channel's "Aw Nuts! Mom's a Ghost!", mom had gone to South Korea and had an affair with a Korean official. He's worried she'll talk so he drowns her in a river and now she's a Mool-Gwishin - a Korean water ghost. She appears in monochrome gray while having wacky hijinks.
- The free-floating viral apparitions of Sigma and Zero in the Mega Man X series are violet-hued and glitchy.
- In the Mystery Case Files games, Emma, Rose, and the twins are ghost-white. The the ghost pirate in 13th Skull is blue.
- Pikmin: Dead Pikmin will evaporate into a colored ghost, the color depending on their color in life.
- The Sims 2 and 3: Ghosts are color coded based on how they died. For example, Sims that died due to drowning become blue ghosts, and Sims that died due to fire become red ghosts. The original Sims averted this; the ghosts were the same colors as the living Sims, but transparent.
- In Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, party members who fall in battle will be shown as opaque grey ghosts.
- Bioshock: Ghostly hallucinations are grainy and blue.
- Gunnerkrigg Court has a number of ghosts, including a Bedsheet Ghost and full-color varieties. The ghost of the woman by the Annan waters, however, is just a white figure.
- The Phoenix Requiem: The ghosts of regular, non-Shade human beings are depicted as wispy white figures. The Spirits also start off this way as pale gold, but more color begins to show as they gain strength.
- The Flying Dutchman in SpongeBob SquarePants is sickly green.
- Marley and the Ghost of Christmas Past in Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol are blue and orange respectively.
- In Avatar: The Last Airbender episode "The Spirit World", when Aang accidentally transfers himself into the Spirit World, he's shown as completely blue and translucent.