TheFinickyOne The Finicky One YKTTW Discussion
|The Finicky One|
An extremely uptight character
You know the character, the wound up, by-the-book character who has no flexibility or sense of humor. Tends to be a Straight Man or a Butt Monkey at times. See also: Neat Freak, Nervous Wreck Compare: The Perfectionist, Obstructive Bureaucrat, Super OCD
Examples:[[foldercontrol]] [[folder:Anime And Manga]]
- Chiri Kitsu from Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei must have everything done properly, even if it it's just for cutting a cake in equal slices.
- C-3PO from Star Wars.
- Jason in Couples Retreat, who actually gives his friends a Power Point presentation to discuss the possibility of divorcing his wife.
- Seth Green's character in Without A Paddle.
- Pretty much every character besides Jack Black in School of Rock. At least at first.
- Zazu from The Lion King.
- Percy Weasley and Barty Crouch Sr. from Harry Potter.
- Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory has a thing for making people sign written agreements, is something of a germaphobe and is very picky about where he sits.
- In Alien Nation the TV series George is offended by the fact that he's called Obsessive-Compulsive. "Another word for that is Anal retentiveness. I don't have an anus!"
- Mac Taylor has been accused of this on CSINY,though it isn't as pronounced now as the first two or three seasons. He's loosened slightly.
- Rupert Giles in the early seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and then Wesley when he came in as the Suspiciously Similar Substitute in season 3. Both left it behind by the later seasons of Buffy and Angel. One of the Buffy characters actually lampshaded it, but I forget if it was directed at Giles or Wesley...it was a variant of the old 'stick up your butt' joke.
- Phil Hartman had a character on Saturday Night Live called "The Anal Retentive" Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs??-guy. He never got a project done because he was so fussy about neatness that he completely forgot what he was doing to stop and tidy up his workstation.
- Who could forget Lovable Neurotic Adrian Monk, who has turned his obsessive penchant for detail into a helpmate rather than a liability?
- Monica from Friends. Obsessed with cleanliness, controlling over even the most simple of past times and known to fits of neurotics when the slightest thing is out of place. Her brother Ross has shades of this too.
- Annie from Community.
- Wes Mitchell from Common Law, as stated by Travis Marks: "You're anal retentive".
- Joe Friday in Dragnet. Taken Up to Eleven by Dan Ackroyd's performance in the 1987 Affectionate Parody.
- Joanne from RENT admits to making to-do lists in her sleep.
- Felix Unger from The Odd Couple is the anal retentive poster child due to his obsessiveness with neatness.
- Twilight Sparkle from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has been know to start riots and rips in time due to her anal retentiveness.
- Archibald Asparagus from VeggieTales is often portrayed this way. One time, he cancelled "Silly Songs With Larry", due to Larry's silly song "Song Of The Cebu" not making any sense, and another time, he took over the show from Bob and Larry in an attempt to add culture and class to the show.
- Rabbit in the Disney versions of Winnie-the-Pooh.
- Squidward in SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Mr Herriman in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
- Dexter from Dexter's Laboratory.
- Rebecca Cunningham of TaleSpin occasionally acts as this Depending on the Writer, usually when butting heads with Baloo.
- Marge takes this to extremes Depending on the Writer in The Simpsons. Naturally this contrasts hard with her slovenly family. Lisa also has this in regards to education, otherwise though she actually often joins Homer and Bart in their laziness.
- Kyle Brovloski of South Park has shades of this at times, though his foil, and more or less the entire world he lives in is so immoral he doesn't really need that high standards to get wound up over it.
- Brian increasingly becomes this in Family Guy, albeit to an often hypocritical level (it is frequently lampshaded for all his uptight rants, he is as much of a self serving sleaze as the rest of the family).
- Simon gradually evolved into this in Alvin and the Chipmunks.
- Most early depictions of Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedgehog media, to foil the reckless, fun loving Sonic. In later comics she is more laid back.