I really don't think we have this already...
are mean, spiteful creatures with no friends whose only purpose is to mock everybody around them. Or that's how they're portrayed anyway. And then.... there's this guy. Yes, he's a troll, everybody knows it... but everybody still likes him anyway.
Maybe it's because he keeps from doing things too harsh. Or maybe he trolls only about something ridiculous like pie. And if other trolls invade his community, he's guaranteed to stand against them. The fact is, this troll belongs to the community, and they love him for it.
Compare Jerk with a Heart of Gold
and Playful Hacker
Needs a Better Description
- Princess Celestia has a Hundred Percent Approval Rating, but a variety of instances have earned her the fan nickname Trollestia.
- Dumbledore. Even the way he died was trolling, though in his case he usually does it because he can't safely reveal the truth to anyone.
- From the same series, the Weasly twins. Just LOOK at the way they dealt with Dolores!
- In a bit of a meta example, J.K. Rowling herself has pulled pranks at the expense of the fans.
- Oscar the Grouch fits this trope perfectly. Friendly (to a point), Neighborhood (guess where), Troll (think about it).
- Homestuck has twelve trolls.... who may or may not be lovable.
- Head Trip. Awwww...
- Axis Powers Hetalia fandom treats creator Hidekaz Himaruya as a much beloved Troll.
- Ever read Pig by Rudyard Kipling?
- Speaking of this relatively benign kind, Stalky series. Not only the study Number Five team provoked folk in the recognizable style, they even behaved like a typical kibologist/kaschenit in general.