fire or explosions are involved, the first thing to go is inevitably the eyebrows. This is nearly always Played For Laughs. This is usually a good way to have people hit by fire come away without true injuries in comedic works. In Real Life, eyebrows do get singed off fairly readily in the case of flame, due to being fairly prominent on the face and thinner than normal hair. However, singed eyebrows may accompany more serious burns as well, so Dont Try This At Home. See also Playing With Fire, Kill It With Fire, or Ash Face. Compare Close Call Haircut.
- Happens to Seamus Finnigan in the movie adaptation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's / Sorcerer's Stone.
- In The Pacifier, one of the bad guys tries to get through a booby-trapped room. Flamethrowers come out of the walls and shoot a wall of fire right in front of her. When she turns around, she has no eyebrows left, and irritably says that she'd just had them done.
- Cheery the forensics expert and alchemist in the Discworld's Ankh-Morpork City Watch is frequently seen without eyebrows. This is a universal trait of most alchemists in Ankh-Morpork.
- In The Name Of The Wind, a character tries fire breathing, and manages to set himself on fire.
All he suffered was a bit of singed beard and a slightly bruised pride. He recovered quickly under Ben's tender ministrations, a mug of mead, and a reminder that not everyone was cut out to have eyebrows.
- In an early episode of Mythbusters, host Adam Savage stood too close to a box full of gas fumes when it exploded, leading to the page quote above. Adam later claimed that he had said the line as a joke, only to find that his eyebrow had indeed been singed off.
- There was a joke on Rescue Me about someone losing their eyebrows because his friend lit a fart.
- A noodle incident on How I Met Your Mother cost Marshall his eyebrows.
- In the live episode of Will And Grace, self-obsessed showman Jack lost an eyebrow trying to finish singing a song as the stage burned around him.
- No FX have a song called "We Threw Gasoline On The Fire and Now We Have Stumps For Arms And No Eyebrows". The song is Better Than It Sounds.
- In The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim, there's a note on how to use the Atronach Forge. According to the note's writer, he was only able to understand its function after going through "blind experimentation and a few singed eyebrows".
- Avatar The Last Airbender: The Mechanist has patchy eyebrows, which he claims is the result of finding a natural gas pocket while holding a lantern.
- The Simpsons: Bart & Millhouse decide to do their own version of Mythbusters. The first myth is that cell phones make gas pumps explode.[[hottip:*:The same myth that resulted in Adam's eyebrow singe.]] After the explosion Millhouse is sans eyebrows.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable