When a pedestrian is hit by a car, they tend to suffer physical trauma; as automobiles cause more deaths
than any other machine on the planet. And while that still applies to drivers, you can expect a number of pedestrians in fiction to hold their own.
If a Super Hero
can stop a locomotive
by standing in front of it, don't expect a measly car or motorcycle to do anything. Bicycles? Ha! Aircraft? No problem. Boats? Well, a cruise ship may still--Nope. Instead, bolts will go flying, engines smash to pieces, frames crumple, and passengers will be stunned. Bonus Points
if the vehicle in question has a recognizable Impact Silhouette
Overlaps with Trainstopping
, which is more about stopping a train
than damaging it. Opposite of Car Fu
Anime & Manga
Film - Animated
Films - Live Action
Live Action TV
- Superman II. When Clark Kent walks across a street he's hit by an oncoming car. He strolls on unconcerned, but the car has extensive front end damage.
- The first Fantastic Four film has The Thing clobber a semi-truck to save someone.
- Hellboy punches a oncoming car with his stone fist to save a man lying on the road, causing it to flip over them both.
- Constantine: At the beginning, when the Mexican man finds the Spear of Destiny he walks onto a road and a car runs into him. The car is totaled, the man is unscathed.
- Iron Man 2 has the revenge-seeking Ivan Vanko ripping apart Formula One cars during a race to get at Tony Stark.
- The X Files has the episode "Salvage", which starts out with a car being almost cleaved in half after running into someone.
- A recurring bit on Smallville when young Clark Kent saves a pedestrian from being hit by a car or bus, which crumples around Clark.
- In the first episode of Lois And Clark a pre-Suprman Clark stops a city bus from hitting a pedestrian. After the event, the bus driver gets out to check on the bus and sees Clark's handprint in the metal of the bus.
- In one episode of The Tenth Kingdom, a troll wandering around New York city is hit by a car; he suffers no injury, but the car is badly damaged.
- One Tosh0 episode had a Web Redemption for a man who got hit by an ice cream truck while dancing in the middle of a street. It ended with the man starring in a music video where an ice cream truck hits him again only to get demolished instead.
- In the Looney Tunes short "Dough Ray Me-ow", a parrot tries to kill a cat by having him play in the railroad track as the train is coming. The train is totaled in the collision, but the cat steps out with nary a scratch.
- In one Wile E Coyote And The Roadrunner cartoon, Wile E. is hit so hard by a truck that he leaves a hole through it.
Indexes: Fight Scene
, Motor Vehicle Tropes
, Superhero Tropes