A character undergoes a complete, usually permanent change from the species/race he was born as into another one, either via supernatural/magical Metamorphosis
, Viral Transformation
or Brain Uploading
(the latter being more common in sci-fi).
Older Than Steam
. Compare Trans Nature
Anime and Manga
- There are innumerable instances in fiction of witches turning people who annoy them into toads.
- This is probably the sole basis of The Return. Introduce characters and then see how fast they get converted into Succubae. In-universe The Company has set up a system so mortally wounded agents can be converted to save their lives, but its volunteer only due to it being a one-way trip.
- Avatar: Happens to the protagonist by the latter parts of the movie.
- This is the point of the movie The Fly.
- Disney's The Little Mermaid has the title mermaid undergo a transformation into a human (but losing her voice in the process) as part of her quest to win the prince's heart. In the end, her father turns her human permanently to grant her wish.
- Film/District9:After being sprayed with a mysterious fluid during a raid on the alien shantytown, Wikus begins transforming into a "prawn" (the colloquial term for the visiting alien species).
- The Incredible Mr Limpet: Henry Limpet wishes that he were a fish. When he falls into the ocean, his wish is granted.
- In Babylon 5, the Vorlons have apparently developed a technology to do this, but the transformation process is not 100% complete as the subject retains features of their original appearance and genetics. See here for the before and after images (spoiler!)
- Warhammer 40,000: A mortal Chaos Champion can eventually be "ascended" to full Daemonhood as a Daemon Prince, transforming into a full Daemonic being.
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- The driudic spell Reincarnation. It resurrects people as... well, if they are lucky, other races of people. If they aren't, as animals.
- The 4th Edition Underdark rulebook has rules for permanently changing a PC's race to Drow.
- Illidan in Warcraft 3 gets transformed into what is described in-universe as "neither Night Elf, nor Demon, but something more".
- In Drowtales (according to legend, at least), many fantasy creatures (including not only drow and driders, but also nagas, dragons, and even giant spiders) are descendants of elven races. In a desparate war, it was discovered that they could preserve their mortally wounded by transforming them into monsters, but either could not turn them back or the spell or technology to do so was lost. Over the years, those new races that bred true became less intelligent over the generations, except for the more humanoid ones.
- In the TV adaptation of Garfield: His 9 Lives, in Garfield's seventh life, the laboratory cat got transformed into a dog after escaping the laboratory while lost in the forest, due to a serum that was injected in him by some scientists as part of an experiment prior to his escape.