Your favourite lesbian characters have finally gotten together, but this poses a problem- how will we know which character is which now that they're BOTH "the lesbian"? Enter "You Gotta Have Gay Hair", where the two characters will have drastically different hair from one another so that you can easily tell them apart. Lesbian couples will never have hair that is the same color or length. Sometimes, but not always, one of the characters will have an expository hairstyle change to facilitate this trope. Compare with "Hair Constrast Duo", where the different hair colors signify the characters' differing world-views.
- Megan and Hilary from But I'm a Cheerleader. Megan is blonde, while Hilary is a brunette.
- Naomi and Emily of Skins, where Naomi has short, bleach-blonde hair, and Emily has long, cherry red hair and asymmetrical bangs. Also with Mini and Franky; Mini has long blonde hair, and Franky short red hair.
- Willow and Tara of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Willow with short red hair, Tara with long brown hair.
- Averted with Paige and Emily in Pretty Little Liars, who both have straight, brown hair. Played straight with Maya, who has short, curly hair. [And Alison, who has long, blonde hair]
- Played straight with Paiage and Alex in Degrassi: The Next Generation, Paige with long blonde hair and Alex with shorter black. Played straight and averted with Fiona and Imogen; although they both have long brown hair, Fiona will wear hers curly and Imogen will wear hers straight or up, so that they are visually different.
- Alex and Piper in Orange Is the New Black. Alex has long dark hair, Piper long blonde hair.
- Santana and Brittany on Glee. Santana has long, dark hair, while Brittany is blonde.
- Stef and Lena from "The Fosters". Stef has blonde, straight hair, while Lena has curly, black hair.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.