Created By: CrowTR0botDecember 21, 2010
Not sure if I'm using this right since this is a page for a series and not a trope, but... A trilogy of Alternate History novels by John Birmingham about a Multinational Task Force from 2021 sent to oust an Indonesian Islamofascist movement getting sent by Negative Space Wedgie to 1942, just off the coast of Midway, where the bulk of the fleet accidentally ends up in the company of Admiral Ray Spruance's task force. A massive naval battle breaks out thanks to Spruance's task force sees Japanese sailors aboard one ship, but the fighting is eventually halted and the future fleet is brought to anchor in Pearl Harbor where the Up-timers explain themselves to various contemporary military and government officials. Culture Shock ensues. Meanwhile, small contingents of the fleet unfortunately find themselves in German, Japanese, and Soviet hands, and all parties go to work gearing up and changing their battle plans based on their new knowledge of the future. Tropes include.
- Colonel Badass: Colonel (later Brigadier General) J. Lonesome Jones.
- Although not a Colonel, or even in the Army or Marines, Admiral Phillip J. Kolhammer is no pushover either.
- Complete Monster: Admiral Jisaku Hidaka
- Crowning Moment Of Funny: During their knife duel at the end of Book 2, Otto Skorzeny wryly remarks on Prince Harry's Real Life dressing-up-as-a-Nazi-at-a-costume-party debacle to taunt him.
Churchill: Your highness, England once fought a civil war to put the monarchy in its place, and that place was not on top of the Prime Minister.
- After [[Spoiler: saving Winston Churchill from a bomb left by the above-mentioned Skorzeny by jumping on top of him,]] Churchill, ever the Deadpan Snarker has this to say.
- Defector From Decadence: Colonel/Major General Paul Brasch is horrified to learn about the Holocaust when analyzing history documents aboard one of the captured future vessels, especially since his son has a cleft palate and will be an easy target for the T4 program. He and his wife escape thanks to an allied spy's effort. In response, he sabotages much of Germany's efforts to build new weapons based on the future tech.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: The cause of a lot of tension between the racially and gender-egalitarian 2021 military and their 1940's counterparts.
- Dropped A Bridge On Him: Almost everyone who dies does so suddenly and anticlimatically.
- Evilly Affable: Otto Skorzeny.
- Karmic Death: Heinrich Himmler remembers the importance of the T4 Program meant for the extermination of the physically and mentally disabled when he smothers a vegetative Hitler with a pillow.
- Lady of War: Captain Karen Halabi.
- Loads And Loads Of Characters
- Shout Out: One of the characters is mentioned to hail from Grantville, West Virginia. One of FDR's Secret Service bodyguards is even named Agent Flint.
- Captain Mike Judge anyone?
- Nuke Em: [[Spoiler: Final Impact ends with Lodz and Tokyo nuked by the Russians and Berlin by the Americans.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable