Created By: Mman on July 23, 2009
A trope of GameShows, MazagineShows and similar. This is where the host or other regular "character" in such a show manages to add far more to a show than would be expected; expect a ton of Periphery Demographic in any show that manages to evoke this. Related to Ensemble Dark Horse, but separate as it tends to involve the closest things such shows have to a central character (although it can sometimes involve a side star). If the star is replaced by someone else (even temporarily) expect invokations of Replacement Scrappy, They Changed It Now Itsucks, Ruined Forever and Discontinuity (as close as a Real Life show can get anyway).
- The hosts of Top Gear.
- Richard O Brien on The Crystal Maze.
- Dominic Diamond on Games Master (also notable for Season 3 being considered along the lines of Discontinuity for him being replaced by Dexter Fletcher for that season).
- Bob Saget.
- Mythbusters owes most of its success to the dynamic duo that is Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman. The short-lived show "Smash Lab" tried to replicate the explosions and large-scale experiments similar to Mythbusters, but failed because the hosts weren't nearly as entertaining when constructing the giant engineering project of the week.
- Wipeout (for disambiguation's sake, the US game show that's equivalent to the BBC's Total Wipeout); John Henson and John Anderson's commentary is as funny as watching the contestants trip and fall.
- Total Wipeout itself may count too. It's hosted by Richard Hammond, and his snark makes watching the contestants fail miserably even funnier.
- Regis Philbin for "Who wants to be a millionaire?" and Alex Trebek for Jeopardy!.
- Whose Line Is It Anyway?: Drew Carey or Clive Anderson depending on who you ask, a case of Broken Base
- Both the Japanese and American incarnations of Iron Chef with Chairman Kaga and the Japanese commentators/Alton Brown respectively. Al Roker (in the IC Japan New York special) and William Shatner (the doomed ''Iron Chef USA) have both tried to fill the hosts roles with poor results.
- Angus Deayton, the original chairman of Have I Got News for You, remains popular among fans of the show, several years after being sacked for personal indiscretions. While the rotating guest hosts have produced many popular replacements, there is still a considerable segment that wants Angus back full-time.
- Richard Dawson, and later Ray Combs, both were immensely popular hosts on Family Feud, and each brought a lot to the program. Louie Anderson, Richard Karn, and John O'Hurley, on the other hand, provide excellent foils, as the show has never recaptured its former popularity with the three new hosts.
- Bob Barker on The Price Is Right.
- Tom from Cartoon Network's Toonami.
- Win Ben Stein's Money was carried by the father/son like relationship between Ben Stein and Jimmy Kimmel. When Kimmel left it went downhill in a hurry.
Fun FactPointless Trivia: Family Feud was developed as a vehicle for original host Richard Dawson because he connected with contestents so well on Match Game.
- Simon Amstell and/or team captains Phil Jupitus and Bill Bailey on Never Mind The Buzzcocks.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable