Do We Have This One?? Exactly What It Says on the Tin - a song about the singer's summer fling, typically his or her first "real" relationship, usually sexual. Includes verses about how they were young and just having fun, how autumn drove them apart, and how the singer looks back on that time bittersweetly -- so much to learn, so innocent and carefree then, and (usually) how he or she has never seen the other since. Can get mawkish -- who really wants to believe that the last years of teenhood were 'the best days of their life'? -- but retain a sort of mild universal appeal. Examples
- "Night Moves" by Bob Seger
- "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams
- "Strawberry Wine" by Deana Carter
- "Summer Nights" from Grease - atypically, the lovers do meet again
- "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock
- "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" by Meatloaf - arguably a subversion since a permanent commitment was the result of something that should have stayed a summer fling
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.