Seen It a Million Times. The Dynamic Akimbo Pose is used so often in media that it's considered something of an Undead Horse Trope. It's something so Campy, so over-the-top ridiculous, that it's typically only used as satire or for characters saved by the Grandfather Clause. The pose itself is used to draw attention to the upper body, to indicate how large, imposing, or confident the subject is. Once upon a time, this trope was Always Male, but female characters later began using it as well. In either case, the trope usually invokes an impressive, or large, chest along with powerful shoulders, biceps and abs. It should be noted, however, that villains often like to pull off this pose, too, when they're confident or intimidating enough to do so. See also V-Formation Team Shot, where this is often used. Compare Badass Armfold, which has a similar, though not identical, effect. Not to be confused with Guns Akimbo, which is about Dual Wielding guns.
Anime & Manga
- In Dragon Ball, the pose is both played straight and satirized.
- Powerful characters, such as the Z-Fighters, often pull off the pose in true dramatic fashion.
- Comedic characters such as Mr. Satan/Hercule, Captain Ginyu, and the Great Saiyaman all do this in a satirical, over-the-top manner as well.
- Superman codified this in the Superhero genre. This is the standard pose he takes when Shooting Superman is invoked.
- Shazam: Shazam/Captain Marvel, the rest of the Marvel Family, and even Black Adam like to pull this off.
- Iron Patriot and Venom (Mac Gargan) of Dark Avengers do it in this impressive team shot: here◊.
Film - Live Action
- Marvel Vs Capcom 2 New Age Of Heroes: This is Amingo's blocking animation. That is, he does the pose and blocks attacks with it. He also assumes an increased musculature. The thing is pretty much played for Rule of Funny.
- Mike Haggar's Victory Pose in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is this.
- Mortal Kombat:
- Injustice: Gods Among Us:
- Freakazoid! villain Arms Akimbo has arms that are permanantly in this position due to his work as a model. One might well wonder how he manages to dress himself.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.