The Gimmick YKTTW Discussion
There are two parallel definitions of a gimmick:
- A cheat; either a method of doing something that appears impossible, or some device used for cheating.
- A feature that distinguishes something (in this case, a character or series) from the competition (with strong connotations of not adding any functionality or value).
- Batman's gimmick in The Justice League is either his detective skills, or his sheer intellect and what might be called "Xanatosity".
- The Joker, outside of the Silver Age, defines the human version of the Monster Clown.
- The Riddler, in some versions, is actually an interesting case, in that his gimmick is also explicitly his motivation and downfall: His superiority and inferiority complexes are such that he has to leave clues, to prove that he's smarter then everybody else.
- Toyman is an excellent example of a character whose only real continuity between versions is his Gimmick.