Do We Have This? There's something about those deep-sounding drums tuned to play specific notes that evokes a visceral reaction out of anyone who hears it. Expect any bit of music with timpani in it to be played for maximum What Do You Mean, It's Not Awesome? value. For extra awesome, add an ever louder roll.
- Parodied in Spaceballs - the dramatic timpani is provided by an actual timpanist in the spaceship itself. And in case you thought that was a one-off gag, the timpanist is one of the evacuees when the Self-Destruct Mechanism is activated.
- Also Sprach Zarathustra
- Samson and Delilah
- The theme to the Olympic Games.
- Quite a bit of the Chrono Trigger soundtrack, especially the opening theme and the battle against Magus.
- Played with in Final Fantasy VI: the battle in the opera house against Ultros features a dramatic timpani...because the music is being provided by the orchestra.
- The rest of the soundtrack itself also has dramatic timpani in a few of the themes.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.