So you've wandered into a haunted town, where the darkest horrors of the beyond lurk around every corner, and you have to have a change of pants on hand constantly. Yes, it's terrifying, the epitome of fear. Slowly, when the coast is clear, you cut through the thick fog and find yourself in front of a large billboard. You begin to read. "Welcome to sunny..." Wait... Why the hell do they call it that!? Why is it that some of the scariest places on Earth have such innocent names? Deathville, USA applies mostly to Towns With Dark Secrets (and is largely a subversion of this trope) or generally any location that has a relatively misleading name when compared to the horrors that go on there. Of course, it doesn't always have to be NormanRockwellville but something that belies the nature of the town.
- In , your deepest fears literally come alive in a town that is virtually devoid of sane life. If it hadn't been for it's introduction in the long running horror series, the name Silent Hill would paint pictures of a quiet, sleepy, small town, without any tentacle monsters or sexy nurses.
- Sandford, the small village that serves as the setting for Hot Fuzz has a name that perfectly fits it's countryside feeling, despite the fact that the citizens of said town systematically kill anyone who threatens the sanctity of it's peaceful existence.
- The A Nightmare on Elm Street films all take place in the innocent-sounding town of Springwood, haunted by the evil spirit of the child-killing Freddy.
- Sunnydale, CA, the setting of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is located over a Hellmouth - a place where the barriers between dimensions are weak - thus attracting horrors of every shape and size to it. Death is pretty common when there are vampires, demons and other horrors lurking around every dark alleyway.
- Bright Falls from the Video Game Alan Wake is a small, peaceful backwoods town that hides an ancient monster.
- NightVale from Welcome to Night Vale is a weird little town full of strange and terrifying things that either kills its residence, drives them mad or something worse, including the Sheriff's secret police, librarians, and the Glow-Cloud. All hail the Glow-Cloud!
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.