Spaceships are for the Weak! YKTTW Discussion
|Spaceships are for the Weak!|
In any given Space Opera setting, it's generally agreed the protagonists will need a Cool Ship or even just the Alleged Spaceship, in order to properly get from Planetville to Planet Eris to the Single-Biome Planet and back again, while stopping over at the Planet of Hats for a nice Feldora. Not this guy. Through whatever Hand Waved method, the character or thing described by this trope can Skip from Earth to Alpha-Centuri with the greatest of ease, not even needing a Spaceship to get from planet A to B. Naturally, this trope is related to Batman Can Breathe in Space, Causal Intersteller Travel and Sci-Fi Writers Have No Sense of Scale, although this is a given as most characters capable of this have won the Superpower Lottery anyway. People that use Open-air Spacecraft, or Teleporters And Transporters to travel through space DO NOT apply for this trope. People that fly into space on their own power, or after being launched, without a spaceship, DO. Examples include:
- Super Mario Galaxy, is perhaps the Trope Codifier, with the heroic plumber launching from planet to planet with the aid of Launch Stars.
- While not used for direct planet-to-planet travel, any charter worth their salt in DBZ has no problems moving or breathing in space. This is particularly visible in the Bardock: Father of Goku, where the titular character fights an entire army of Freeza’s minions single-handedly while in orbit above his homeworld.
- Superman, naturally, can perform this feat, although it is worth mentioning that he had to go into special training in order to learn how to hold his breath long enough to make this viable.
- Pre Crisis he could do this naturally.
- Champions supplement The Circle and M.E.T.E. Elt (one of the aliens at M.E.T.E.) can travel through space using faster-than-light travel.
- In fact, any Champions character with Flight, FTL Travel and appropriate Life Support can do it.
- Likewise, the above applies to any Mutantsand Masterminds character with similar powers.
- Some Kajui are depicted as capable of this, although more info is needed on which ones. King Ghidhora was one, if I remember?
- A particularly cool example is in The Adventuresof Dr Mc Ninja, where Bruce Lee JUMPS to the moon… and then teaches this technique to the good doctor, who uses it to great effect.