Allegedly Free Game or Freemium.
- Comic book publishers sometimes reprint the first issue of an "Event" comic as a part of Free Comic Book Day. Ultimate Spider-Man, Brightest Day, a Justice League of America reboot, and Irredeemable are some of them.
- Give Away Of The Day.com gives free software for one day only; after that it goes back to its regular price.
- Recently, MacOS version 10.9, known as Mavericks, became free, whereas previously new versions were paid. You have to have a Mac (or a Hackintosh) to take advantage of this, but still, it's now free and previously was not.
- Project Gutenberg is a volunteer-based organization with the mission of promoting eBooks. People are encouraged to create eBooks of any works that have fallen within the Public Domain for their country. This allows them to distribute "every" book for free (where "every" means books that are no longer protected by copyright).
- Anathallo's first album Luminous Luminescence in the Atlas Position was out of print and completely impossible to buy for a period in the early 2000s. During this time, the band members would give mp3s of the album to any fan who asked them online.
- Havalina Rail Co.'s album Russian Lullabies went out of print, and the record label that published it went out of business. When fans clamored for a way to get the album, the band responded by putting it on their website as a free download.
- In August 2009, a Universal System called the D6 system was rereleased as open sourced under the SRD. PDF versions of a couple of books (including the base rules) was then released to the general audience for free.
- Team Fortress 2 was originally a commercial game before it became a Freemium in 2011.
- Tyrian, originally published in 1995, was rereleased as freeware in 2004 as a gift to everyone else. It can also be found on GOG.com as a freeware product.
- The original SimCity has been re-released under an open-source licence as "Micropolis".
- Elite and its sequel Frontier were rereleased as free downloads from Frontier Developments, though some wrangling is needed to get them to run on modern machines.
- An Untitled Story and its soundtrack were originally sold for money before Matt released them as freeware.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall have been released as freeware on the fifteenth anniversary of The Elder Scrolls series.
- Grand Theft Auto and its sequel were commercially released games. They are now available for free and ported to Windows.
- Playstation Plus members get free games that usually have been around for a year or even more than ten years before. Oftentimes the new run breathes life into the online scene. Some larger games that have been offered free include Borderlands2 and LittleBigPlanet 2.
- In 2009, Epic games released UDK (Unreal Development Kit); an open source version of Unreal Engine 3 for Windows (and later, iOS) platforms. Although anyone selling a UDK based game still has to pay Epic royalties* , releasing free UDK based games is...free.
- In 2004 the former members of Warzone 2100's defunct developer Pumpkin Studios released the game and its source code under the GNU General Public License.
- The original The Suffering was eventually released for free, with ads embedded.
- Angry Birds:
- The original game was originally made commercial on iOS devices. However, when it was ported to Android, the developers decided to make it ad-supported freeware. But only the Android version. The other versions are still commercial. Averted for the games released after the original, as they were available as ad-supported freeware for Android from the start.
- Angry Birds Rio was originally released on March 22, 2011 at the same price as the other Angry Birds games. However, on January 17, 2013, the game was rereleased for free, initially as part of Apple's "Free App of the Week" promotion.
- In The Contest Kid and the Big Prize Harvey tries to make a go of a Lemonade & cookie stand but gets in a price war with his own sister. Eventually he just gives his product away, which wins the war. He even retuns the 25 cents he got from his only sale early in the day.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.