Want another way to help show what a Yandere
, Stalker with a Crush
, or how distressed/depressed a character is? Have them either carve or brand or tattoo a word or name (either one or several) into either their body or someone else's body. It may or may not leave a scar. Done to another person, then it is torture. If it is done to themselves, then it would be a subtrope of Self-Harm
, carrying a lot of the same ideas with added symbolism, sometimes a way to show how obsessed with another person or object a person is. Or they Couldn't Find a Pen
Anime and Manga
- In Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest the Big Bad Haguro Dou becomes completely and crazily obsessed with protagonist (and werewolf) Inugami. He initially doesn't care about or even think twice about Inugami... until he pushes Inugami too far. Which results in Inugami showing him his true form and scaring the shit out of Haguro. Haguro goes insane from it, and obsesses and stalks Inugami after that, even cutting himself all over his arm and carving the word "Inu" onto his hand.
- Baccano!: Not the skin exactly, but The Rail Tracer threatens Czeslaw Mayer with torture involving "stripping away each individual arm muscle and doing intricate carvings on the exposed bone." Yikes.
- In Stephen King's It Henry Bowers carved the first letter of his name into Ben Hanscomb's belly with a knife, and would have put his whole name down there if Ben hadn't fought back and gotten away. Ben still had an H-shaped scar on his stomach nearly 30 years later to show for it.
- In the webcomic Goblins, the Goblin Slayer carved the word "MONSTER" onto Fumbles' forehead.
- In the 1996 movie Fear David carves the name Nicole (the girl he's Yandere for) into his chest.
- In Harry Potter Bellatrix tortures Hermione by carving the word "mudblood" into her arm.
- Played with when Umbridge has Harry use a special quill to write down "I must not tell lies" onto a piece of paper but it magically carves the sentence into the back of his hand.
- In Harold & Kumar, Neil Patrick Harris brands his initials on prostitutes.
- The swastikas carved by the Inglorious Basterds in the foreheads of their surviving victims.
- Richey Edwards and his infamous 4REAL incident.
- A woman became internet famous when she said she was attacked by a Scary Black Man who carved the letter "B" for Barack Obama into her face. Turns out she was faking, and part of how it was proved was that the "B" was backward because she did it in a mirror.