Created By: Giant Space Chinchilla on July 3, 2010 Last Edited By: GiantSpaceChinchilla on July 3, 2010
Exactly What It Says on the Tin In Speculative Fiction sometimes The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday has a very good reason for disappearing and reappearing at will, it has a motor! A Mobile Kiosk would be any device where the owner sells something with the additional benefit of when business dries up he can pick up and move. perhaps a conman with a collapsible table, a bazaar merchant with his store on a cart, or a hoverskift selling fresh alien fish. See Travel Cool for more odd vehicles such as Fruit Carts.
- The Vending skiff from The Fifth Element.
- The opening scene of Guys and Dolls has a pitchman and his female accomplice whose pitch is a box with fixed legs.
- Doctor Terminus' "Landship" from Pete's Dragon
- Bedknobs and Broomsticks: everything in Portobello Road that isn't nailed down. As well as Professor Browne's nifty suitcase act.
- The vendor in the film Top Secret!!.
- Jean Merrill's children's book The Pushcart War. Pushcart vendors vs. monster trucks!
- Discworld has C.M.O.T. Dibbler.
- It may be hard to find, but there's a short story by Lord Dunsany, The Shop that Traded Evils.
- Abie Glassman in The Great Brain.
- The Twilight Zone TOS episode "One for the Angels". Lew Bookman has a mobile pitch: a suitcase with extendable legs. When he finishes a pitch, he collapses the legs back into the suitcase and moves on.
- In season 3 of The Wire, Bubbles starts selling white t-shirts to the drug dealers and users around Baltimore from a shopping trolley. Later in the season and in season four he starts to expand his operation, offering cans of paint, pirated DVDs and other such assorted goods from his trolley.
- The U.S. has trucks filled with various types of food and drink that go around to any place with groups of people (construction sites, office buildings, etc.) and sell to the people there.
- Bookmobiles: kind of as they are essentially libraries
- there are companies out there that will wash your car and/or repair windshields on the spot (well in the parking lot anyway)
- Ice cream trucks.
- Also old-time cigarette girls.
- Shadowrun: often has mobile medical care facilities and repair shops for the "don't ask questions" type.
- In Oklahoma!, Ali Hakim the peddler has one of these.
- The Simpsons, when Marge started a pretzel business and drove around with the pretzels in her station wagon, her rivals had a falafel truck.
- In The Simpsons various times when they go to "ethnic" neighborhoods, and when they flashed back to Homer & Marge when they lived in an apartment.
Chiiiipwich for sale! Chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin! Chiiipwich for sale!...
- Oh, and the time Homer went to New York City to get his impounded car he bought a bunch of Klauh Kalesh from a street vendor, with crab juice to wash it down.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.