Just as adventure shows and school settings have specific, numbered groups that tend to obey set roles, the teens in a horror or slasher film tend to follow these standard archetypes:
- The Slut - The promiscuous girl. Suffers Death by Sex
- The Athlete - The jock, consort to the whore. The death of this asshole may appear a Laser Guided Karmic Death
- The Scholar - The nerd, or the smart one. May fall to Death by Genre Savviness
- The Fool - The comic relief, likely Too Dumb to Live
- The Virgin - All usually die before her. If not, it's robably because Virginity Makes You Stupid. When she does die, it's Kill the Cutie - but she alone might not die at all.
- The Trope Codifier, The Cabin in the Woods explicitly identified the trope as a trend that runs through horror stories. It also conversed and invoked the trope - the characters did not necessarily fulfill the roles normally but were forced into them by agents behind the scenes.
- The Slut: Jules was given hairdye laced with drugs to reduce her intelligence and raise her libido.
- The Jock: Curt was a sociology scholarship student who began the film advising the man character on textbook choice, but drugs turned him into the required "alpha male."
- The Scholar: Holden began the film by catching a football, but after treatment, he was spouting Latin that he'd thought he'd long forgotten and was called "the egghead."
- The Fool: Marty, a funny stoner. His weed actually helped him resist the treatment and unexpectedly helped him maintain his intelligence.
- The Virgin: Dana is introduced sans pants and has just got over an affair with a professor, but she's soon blushing about having "never done anything like this before" when treated to Hodlen's advances.
- The Slut: Mel, caught in a love triangle with Cory and Sal
- The Jock: Sal, who bullies Bruce and acts like a jerk.
- The Scholar: Bruce, comic-book reader and creepy stalker-guy
- The Fool: Cory, who, of course, dies first
- The Virgin: Sara, the cool-headed one
- Return of the Living Dead, the group that goes into the cemetery to meet their friend:
- Slut: Trash, who spends most of the movie without any clothes on
- Jock: Suicide, the jerk
- Brain: Chuck, the nerdy one
- Fool: Token Minority Spider
- Virgin: Tina
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable