Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil
and is a horrible thing to have to experience. In most cases it can negatively affect the mental health and sometimes lead to Sanity Slippage
. With this trope a character who is raped experiences significant Sanity Slippage
and may more may not regain their sanity. Compare Shell-Shocked Veteran
(another common portrayal of PTSD). Compare Break the Cutie
, Rape as Drama
. Can also include Mind Rape
. No Real Life examples please.
Anime and Manga
- In the classic silent film The Wind, Lillian Gish, who is already being driven around the bend by the neverending titular wind, finally cracks completely when the bad guy rapes her.
- The sister of the Anti Heroine in the Dirty Harry sequel Sudden Impact becomes catatonic after the two of them are gang-raped.
- In A Streetcar Named Desire Blanche's descent into insanity becomes especially evident after Stanley rapes her.
- In the second book of The Sword of Truth series, a queen (Kahlan's sister) is left in a prison for a few days with several criminals. She is rescued right before an execution. At first, she's catatonic, then suicidal, then she seems to recover, but ends up incapable of fighting the very enemies who threw her in the prison. In the end, her land is taken, and her head is used as a Ja'La ball.
- Jan from Days of Our Lives was an Alpha Bitch before she was raped. Afterwards, she turned crazy.
- In Oz Beecher's rape at the hands of Schillinger definitely didn't do any favors for his mental health.
- "Revenge", the very first story on Alfred Hitchcock Presents, played on this idea without using the R word. A woman already recovering from a nervous breakdown is "assaulted" in her trailer. Her husband looks to avenge her by killing her assailant. One day she points the man out to her husband, and he does the deed. Then she points to another man, and another, and another.
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant has this as a major theme. Covenant rapes a girl early in his first visit to The Land, and it haunts him throughout the ensuing stories. Part of the consequences is that Lena (the girl) definitely loses it because of the rape.
- Tender Is the Night: Nicole's sexual relationship with her father when she was a teenager (hence statutory rape) leads to her becoming schizophrenic.