Ageless Birthday Episode
A television episode centered around a main character's birthday with no mention of his/her new age.
A staple in most classic sitcoms and animated television programs is the "ageless birthday episode." This is an episode that centers around a specific character's birthday but never mentions the character's new age. If this character's actual age is part of the show's status quo (see: Status Quo Is God), then you can expect his/her age to remain the same even after the "birthday episode." The inevitable numerous guests (see: Twenty Four Hour Party People) and fancy decorations at his/her birthday party raise even more curiosity as to what this character's age is, as such a party would only seem to make sense during a monumental birthday like his/her 21st or 40th. Examples: Live Action TV:
- Family Matters had several episodes devoted to Carl's birthday with no mention of his age.
- Friends had several ageless birthday episodes for Rachel.
- Averted, though, in the episode where Rachel has her 30th.
- Played completely straight with the Rugrats episode "Angelica's Birthday." To the extent that, in a later episode ("Pickles Vs. Pickles"), her parents say that she's still 3 years old.
- Averted, though, in the aptly titled "Tommy's First Birthday."
- Played similarly straight in the Nickelodeon Doug episode "Doug's Birthday Present." To the extent that the Disney series opened with an episode about him turning 12. Since he was 11 1/2 when he moved to Bluffington and lived there during the Nickelodeon birthday episode, the only logical conclusion one could draw is that he had two 12th birthdays!
- The South Park episode "Damien" does this with Cartman's birthday (although we can probably assume that he turned 9 in this episode, as the show subtly suggests that he's a little older than the other three SP boys).
- The Flintstones had several such episodes for Fred (such as "The Swimming Pool"). Averted in the episode where Pebbles has her first birthday.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable