Toying With The Tool YKTTW Discussion
|Toying With The Tool|
Often when someone is under control of the mind or the body, the controller will force them to do things that either don't advance the Evil Plan at all or are simply very inefficient in doing so. This is because getting things done isn't the point. The point is to torment or humiliate the victim, or the onlookers if the victim isn't aware. Sometimes the controller claims they're testing the extent of their control, but it will never be the most scientific way of doing that, either; the purest examples are clearly For the Evulz. If the victim is only made to Kneel Before Zod, they got off very lucky indeed. Examples:
- In Bioshock, this trope lends weight to a vicious "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Happens in the movie version of Ella Enchanted.
- Star Trek: The Original Series episode "Plato's Stepchildren". The Platonians use their telekinetic powers to make the Enterprise crew members act in absurd and humiliating ways.
- In Disney's Aladdin, when Jafar takes over Agrabah, he humiliates Sultan and Jasmine. One of his cut songs involved doing this to Aladdin.
- Before turning the principal into Captain Underpants, George and Harold made him pretend to be a chicken and give them money with their hypnotic ring.
- Done in a variety of ways, and over the course of an entire day, to the main character of Heir Apparent by Vivian Van Velde. Under the control of a magical ring, she does indeed cluck like a chicken, not to mention singing "I'm a little teapot." Fortunately for her, the Reset Button is soon activated.
- In A Very Potter Musical, Voldemort and Quirrell use the Imperio spell to make Harry dance during the song "Dance Again".
- Spider Robinson's Callahan's Lady. A villain uses her Mind-Control Device to force the people in Lady Sally's House to perform disgusting and embarrassing acts for her own amusement.