Drastically Altered Geopolitical Map
The geopolitical map of one or more countries has its borders redrawn drastically.
Alternate Titles: Drastically Redrawn Geopolitical MapA drastic reshaping of the geopolitical scene on a regional, continental or global scale, in a future or an Alternate History setting, via significant redrawing of national borders, multiple and/or extreme instances of balkanization and large-scale union/annexation, upsetting of the Balance of Power, and/or entire countries being literally erased from the face of the planet, which is usually (in)directly caused by either a global war (or several technically unrelated but simultaneous wars around the world), a planetary-scale catastrophe or some huge socio-political revolution, if not left as one huge Noodle Incident in cases of works set in the distant future. Subtropes that are most commonly employed for this one:
- Balkanize Me
- Invaded States of America (when it sticks rather than be ultimately thwarted, like a successful Mexico Called; They Want Texas Back war's aftermath)
- Space-Filling Empire
- Regional: One or more countries within the same regional locality are affected. Example: The United States of America splits into two or more successor states.
- Continental: At least most of a single continent is affected. Example: A newly resurgent Glorious Mother Russia invades Europe, and annexes most of the continent.
- Worldwide: Multiple continents, if not the whole world, are affected. Example: The settings of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Shadowrun.
Examples set in The Future[[foldercontrol]] [[folder:Anime and Manga]]
- Ghost in the Shell: As one can see from this map◊, the U.S.A. splintered in three (with one third joining Russia), China appears to have swallowed every country in the Eastern and Southern parts of mainland Asia, and there are no dividing borders visible on the European, African and South American continents (except for the Scandinavian Peninsula), suggesting that their respective collection of countries merged into continent-wide superstates.
- Shadowrun: Oh, where to begin, where to begin...
- The USA both lost old territories to Native American, Hawai'ian, Californian and neo-Confederate seccessions, gained new ones by merging with the remnants of a similarly-afflicted Canada, and later on the independent California and neo-Confederate Texas got invaded by Aztlan (formerly Mexico).
- The just-mentioned Mexico became the Blood Magic cult-ruled and World Domination-aspiring Aztlan.
- Russia lost most of Siberia to Awakened revolts.
- Italy splintered into a loose confederation of successor states, including a reestablished Papal State.
- The Arabian Peninsula became a single unified country.
- Palestinians and Israelis eventually achieved true peaceful coexistence under one multiethnic state... Well, as much "peaceful coexistence" as most other "1st-world" multiethnic countries can in Shadowrun's Crapsack World, that is.
- A new restoration of the Japanese Imperial Family's political power and Japan's former status as a world military power (in addition to its now souped-up economic world power status).
- The People's Republic of China ultimately dissolved into a myriad of splinter states (including a Communist rump state) that are constantly vying for political dominance if not outright warring with each other.
- And did we mention that most of Sub-Saharan Africa had descended into such a chaotically anarchic mess of continuous revolutions, regime changes, and ever-shifting borders and alliances that everbody else decided that it's more efficient to label the entire area as the "Pan-African Federation"? Note that "federation" here is an actual (and perhaps deliberate) misnomer, as there is nothing remotely close to a unifying authority over this practically lawless region.
- Ground Zero Games has a series of games, including Full Thrust, Dirtside and Stargrunt that all take place in what is called the "Tuffleyverse." In addition to the establishment of intersteller settlements, the political geography of Earth has been significantly rearranged. The major powers are listed below:
- New Anglian Confederation: The NAU unites the United Kingdom, Canada, and almost all of the Americas under the British crown. The one part of the Americas that do not control is Free Cal-Tex, a minor power consiting of present day California, Texas, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico.
- The Eurasian Solar Union: Unites Russia, China, Korea, India, Mongolia, Kazakhstan and a number of their smaller neighbors. Russia appears to be the dominate member.
- New Swabian League: Unites France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. France is the dominant member.
- Federal Stats Europa: United Germany, Poland, Austria, Hungary, the Chezch Republic and Slovakia.
- Addtional powers include the Islamic Federation, the Scandinavian Federation, the Pan African Union, the Indonesian Commonwealth (which has conqured most of its neighors), the Oceanic Union (Austrialia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea) and the Romanov Hegemony (Ukraine and the Baltic nations). In addition there are a handful of independent nations (such as Switzerland, Japan and Ireland) and areas under dispute.
- In Fortess America, Dirty Communists take over most of the world and divide it between the The Euro-Socialist Pact, The Central American Federation, and The Asian Peoples Alliance. The three powers then turn on the United States.
- Front Mission: The United States of America expanded to the rest of the Americas (renaming itself "United States of the New Continent", or "USN" for short), the European Union gave way to the more centralized European Commonwealth, the once-again-communist Russia and the People's Republic of China renamed themselves "Zaftra" and "Da Han Zhong" respectively (after annexing Taiwan in the latter's case), Belarus became "Ravnui", and the countries of Australia, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, and others in Southeast Asia formed an economic-military coalition under the name of "Ocean(i)an Community Union".
Examples set in an Alternate History[[folder:Anime and Manga]]
- Code Geass: At the beginning of the story, almost the entire world is split between the superstates of Britannia (the Americas, with the British Isles being the original homeland), the Euro Universe (the European countries plus Africa as apparently colonies of the European members), and the Chinese Federation (almost everything in Eastern, Southern/Southeastern, and Central Asia). Independent nations included the Middle Eastern Federation (quickly conquered early in the series) and Australia. By the end of the series, the world is ultimately unified under the United Federation of Nations' rule.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.