Having a peculiar thing or power happen with no canonical in-universe reason given.
Needs a Better Description Formerly "Who's To Say Why". Having a peculiar thing or power happen with no canonical in-universe reason given.
- Groundhog Day: Originally, the "Groundhog Day" Loop was explained as a voodoo curse put on Phil by a co-worker at the TV station, but it was dropped before the film was released.
- Pushing Daisies: The source of Ned's ability to reanimate the dead is never explained.
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court: The yankee just finds himself time-shifted with no explanation.
- The cause of the reanimation of the dead in the Romero zombie films is never explained. One theory is suggested in Night of the Living Dead (that a satellite crashing to Earth brought an unknown form of radiation) but its validity is never confirmed.
- Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis never explains how or why Gregor Samsa encountered his metamorphosis.
- House of Leaves: it is never explained why the house behaves the way it does, which is part of the Surreal Horror and Mind Screw of it all.
- Roadside Picnic. Strugatsky brothers used to despise Expo Speak, but this time it's the whole point. The Universe just happened to dump a lot of incredibly weird and dangerous junk on our heads, now deal with it.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.