Connecting Those Wacky Nazis with sexual minorities
Rolling Updates * Needs More Examples
Springtime for Hitler and Germany:
We're marching to a faster pace:Those Wacky Nazis as lesser than us normal people. One heteronormative classic take on this is to pretend that The Third Reich was some kind of rainbow club for "sexual deviants" such as homosexuals, transvestites and sadomasochists. Traditionally, this trope is a subtrope of Abomination Accusation Attack: It got started in World War II England, where the anti-German propaganda kept portraying the Nazis as being gay et cetera. Meanwhile, the real Nazi Germany was strictly conservative in matters of sexuality, including systematically putting any gays they could find in the death-camps. However, the English propaganda got some fuel from the Nazi party practice of excusing executions within the party by accusing the victim of being gay. After the war, the trope mostly got used in reverse: It was now used against sexual minorities, as a way of trying to discredit them by linking them to Nazi Germany. As for sadomasochism, while ubiquitous in the Nazisploitation genre, the people who were bad enough to actually work in concentration camps generally viewed their victims as more akin to insects than human beings, so sexual interest tended to be nil, compounded by the fact that the prisoners were often near-starvation or carrying diseases such as typhoid due to systematic mistreatment. It's worth noting that the "evil gay German" stereotype was common although now all but forgotten in the UK during the First World War, partly driven by the genuine Eulenburg Affair, a scandal in the late 1900s about an alleged gay clique in the German military and diplomatic service. Now a Forgotten Trope, but it turns up in a Getting Crap Past the Radar way with some John Buchan novels that have German Sissy Villains. While the background is political, modern usage of the trope simply draws on old stereotypes and doesn't necessarily have any political agenda of any kind. As for real life Nazis who are/were gay and/or paraphiliac, they are very few and hated on both sides: Their fellow Nazis generally consider the deviant or degenerated, while the LGBTQ community generally consider them just as evil as the vanilla heterosexual Nazis. Lets just leave it at that: No Real Life Examples, Please! Compare Stupid Jetpack Hitler and Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot.
open/close all folders
- Chick Tracts routinely portray gays as the SA stormtroopers of the evil New World Order.
- In Preacher, Odin's Lawyer at first seem to merely be a Dominatrix with some kind of Nazi fetish. However, she turn out to be mentally unstable and totally delusional - including some peculiar ideals about Hitler's benevolence and sexuality. Ironically, she's not a racist - and believe that Adolf Hitler wasn't either. While her boss who turns out to have an even creepier fetish is secretly a member of the Ku Klux Klan.
- Parodied in Planetary, where a Miracleman Expy complains that he never wanted to learn about his true origins as a being "grown from the DNA of Aryan super-athletes and Hitler's personal sex midgets!"
"I didn't even know Hitler had personal sex midgets!"
- In Lucifer, one young Nazi has fantasies of becoming the next Fuhrer. These fantasies have sadomasochistic Hard Gay overtones... foreshadowing the fact that the character is actually gay - A Boomerang Bigot Heteronormative Crusader.
- Give Me Liberty has the Aryan Thrust, a gang of comedy Manly Gay neo-Nazis, among its various satirical political stereotypes.
- In The Producers, the protagonists fail to understand this trope, thus failing miserably at failing with their show Springtime for Hitler. The film uses the Pink Swastikas trope in two ways, both Played for Laughs:
- First, we have poor unhappy old Franz. His character is entirely based on the "The Third Reich Nazis were gay" stereotype, but without any implications that this stereotype would be true in general. Instead, he comes across as delusional.
- Second, we have the Show Within a Show, Springtime for Hitler, which make Nazi Germany look like one big happy Pink Swastika Pride Parade. See page quote. The audience hate it at first, taking it for the Nazi propaganda it is. Then they recognize the classic "Nazis are gay" propaganda stereotype and love it for being a joke at the Nazi's expense. How would they be able to know that the author was dead serious, anyway?
- The Guns of Navarone. After the protagonists capture a number of Nazi soldiers and take their uniforms, Sergeant Miller goes over to the SS officer and says "shocking taste in undies (underwear), too".
- In American Beauty, Ricky's father is an Abusive Parent who collects Nazi memorabilia. At the end, he turns out to be a murderously repressed gay man.
- The Pink Swastika, the Trope Namer, is an absolutely atrocious "history" book from 1995. It tries to claim the Nazis were almost entirely driven by their Depraved Homosexual tendencies.
- "Hitler: A Bisexual Circus Freak" is a little gem of speculations never intended for public view. It was written by Office of Strategic Services, the cloak and dagger predecessor agency to the CIA. Here are excerpts from one newly released OSS report, a confidential 68-page examination of Adolf Hitler. In these pages, America's spies focus on the German leader's leisure time activities (liked the circus) and his sexual life (had issues). Among other things, it gets speculated that Hitler was a coprophiliac.
- The Iron Dream has as the second part of its Framing Story a literary analysis which categorizes the story by that reality's Hitler as having homosexual, fetishistic and narcissistic overtones.
- In Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, the testing of Rocket 00000 is run by Depraved Bisexual Captain Blicero, who keeps an adolsecent male Sex Slave named Gottfried. Blicero ends the novel by using Gottfried as a "passenger" in the rocket as a sort of human sacrifice. Of course, it's not just the Nazis who provide examples of Depraved Homosexual, Depraved Bisexual, Depraved Heterosexual, Anything That Moves in that novel...
- Kraken features the Chaos Nazis, a gang of monstrous and flamboyant neo-Nazis whose main complaint with the Holocaust is that it featured entirely the wrong sort of "camp." They're universally reviled and scorned by the supernatural community; when the Ocean wipes them out, nobody bats an eye.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.