Real Life, sarongs are waist-wraps found in several African and Asian nations, often made of durable material and worn by both men and women. It consists of a tube or, less commonly, length of fabric that is rolled about the waist to hold it in place. They serve as an effective way of keeping cool while remaining decent. In fictionland, sarongs are gaining popularity as fanservice. Unlike most real-world sarongs they typically consist of a portion of fabric tied at one hip. They are most commonly found on an attractive female character in combination with a bikini top, usually for a Beach Episode. This is an effective way to allow a character to avoid being too revealing while still keeping the viewers' attention due to the Theiss Titillation Theory. After all, knots can be tricky. Often found hand-in-hand with Bare Your Midriff and Hartman Hips. If worn accurately by men, compare Man in a Kilt.
- One Piece: Post-timeskip, Nico Robin wears a sarong as part of her typical outfit.
- You're Under Arrest!: In a justified example, Aoi wears a sarong to get away with wearing a bikini.
- The Vorkosigan Saga has the Pleasure Planet Beta Colony, where sarongs are ubiquitous.
- Actress Dorothy Lamour became associated with sarong dresses after wearing one as Ulah in The Jungle Princess (1936).
- Kathy Ireland wore a sarong in the last scene of 1988's Alien from L.A., which was parodied by Mike and the bots on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
- Diplomatic Immunity: Leilani wore a sarong in the first episode.
- The male, non-fanservice version can be found in the 1982 Doctor Who serial Kinda, where all the men of the titular race wear sarongs.
- Pathfinder: Art of the oracle Alahazra includes a sarong.
- Persona3: Mitsuru's swimsuit costume is a bikini with a sarong.
- Gaia Online: Sasha wore a sarong in an earlier rendition.
- Star Ocean: Black Brigade leader Albel Nox wears a loincloth-like sarong. This, combined with Bare Your Midriff, has led to some Viewer Gender Confusion.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: Several times, on several girls.
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire: Kida wears a bikini and sarong for the majority of the movie.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable