Embarassing Animal Suit YKTTW Discussion
|Embarassing Animal Suit|
Being forced to wear embarrassing costumesTropeworthy?
When a character, for whatever reason or plot contrivance, is forced to wear an animal costume similar to a mascot's outfit. The costume can be outlandish and ridiculous or simply silly, but either way, it certainly makes it hard to take them seriously. They may or may not gripe about the indignity. For some reason or another, this is a common trope in Anime. If a character, or group of characters, is forced to take on an odd job, it will involve wearing one of these.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- There's a flashback in Naruto where Yahiko, Konan, Nagato and Jiraiya are all dressed up as frogs, for no reason other than that Jiraiya is the Toad Sage.
- K-On! also does the odd job variant; the five members of the main cast end up as a pig (Azusa), cat (Mugi), rooster (Yui), dog (Ritsu), and horse (Mio).
- Yu-Gi-Oh!. After losing a duel (and a bet), Joey is forced to wear a rather cartoony dog costume. Afterwards, Yugi has to play a game to get Joey out of it.
- In Gravitation this is one of Shinji's traits.
- Durarara!! has a dramatic example: while fleeing from the Yellow Scarves, Anri is forced into a large pink bunny costume so she can escape unnoticed.
- In The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya, the SOS Brigade end up in an assortment of frog costumes as per the odd job rule mentioned above, and spend the day nearly overheating while making fools of themselves. For their hard work, they're allowed to keep the costumes.
- In one episode of Slayers, the cast has to wear mascot-like stuffed critter costumes in order to infiltrate the tower of a mad toymaker-mage/demon/whatever (it's a complicated story). The only one who complains about his is Zelgadiss, who has to wear a bunny rabbit costume. Zelga-bunny!
- An X Files fanfic had Pendrell, who has a crush on Scully, show up at a costume ball in an animal costume.
- A Christmas Story. Ralphie is forced to wear the pink bunny pajamas his aunt got him for Christmas.
- Alan Shore in Boston Legal, from wearing bunny ears in court to dressing as a girl for a Halloween party.
- An episode of Family Ties had Mallory and Skippy, who has a crush on her, locked in the basement(?). Skippy is dressed as a chipmunk.
- In the show Medium, a person who happened to die wearing an animal costume uses it to his advantage by appearing to a young child and telling her to do stuff. This is foiled, in a way it was taking to long to write.
- Supernatural. Although we do not actually see the evidence, one of the things Sam learns about the residents of the Trickster-made town during his often repeated day in the episode "Mystery Spot" is that the town judge dresses up in a "furry bunny costume" at night. Upon overhearing that Sam knows this, the judge knocks over his drink in embarrassment.
- In Higurashi: When They Cry, the loser of the club's games is often forced into one as punishment, or at the very least, a costume with animal accents. Among them are a swan-like ballerina outfit, and a cat-eared-and-tailed maid.