Exactly What It Says on the Tin. Important characters, usually the protagonists have an odd lightning bolt mark on their body, usually due to Rule of Cool. However, characters who have this mark are often brave, impulsive, and heroic.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Ash Ketchum from Pokémon is always drawn with a pair of small lightning bolts on his cheeks. He's the main character of the show, and has the electric-type Pikachu as his constant companion to boot.
- A Golden Age Comic book hero, the Lone Rider, who was basically an Expy of The Lone Ranger had a horse named Lightning that got its name from a lightning bolt shape on its forehead.
- In Dragon Tiger Gate Donnie Yen's character's personal symbol is a lightning bolt. He gives a tattoo of the mark to the film's Dragon Lady shortly before her Redemption Equals Death scene.
- Harry Potter is the Trope Codifier; his lightning bolt mark on his forehead was received when he survived Lord Voldemort's attack.
- The eponymous character of Disney's Bolt has a black lightning bolt adorned on the side of his body. Subverted that it's actually make-up, because he's actually just an actor of a TV show, but he never knew that.
- Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has a cutie mark of a cloud and a lightning bolt on her left and right side. Its supposed to represent her love for speed.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.