Hospital Alarm Urgency
When an alarm sounds in the hospital, everybody drops what they're doing immediately to help out.
- My first code. See, here's how it works: someone's heart fails, they beep everyone. The first doctor in has to run the room, tell everyone what to do, basically decide if the patient lives or dies.-- J.D.
- Averted in Archie Comics, of all things, when our heroes go to the hospital to look for Juggie. They happen to see an alarm at the unattended nurse's station, and rush to the room, to find that the patient has been calling the nurse to pick up a book he dropped. Then the real nurse comes in, and apologizes. When they find Jughead, he's volunteered as a candy-striper, and tells them about how the hospital is understaffed. Did I mention this story was published in the 70s or 60s?
- Played with a few ways on Scrubs:
- In the pilot episode, JD gets his first code. We see a shot of him running down the hallway, and in to a room. Turns out it's a closet where he has gone to hide. This also turns out to be a subversion, as Turk ends up shocking the guy, who turned out to have fallen asleep attached to a faulty monitor.
- In the episode "One in Three", we cut to response shots of the three protagonists as a single beep alerts them that their patients' hearts have stopped.
- In another episode, the Janitor pranks the doctors by creating a device that plays the flatline sound. Dr. Kelso is not amused.
- Happens all the time on Greys Anatomy.
- This was the former Trope Namer, which should tell you something about how frequently it occurs.
- Also happens quite a bit on House.
- ER, of course, is the granddaddy of 'em all.
- Hospitals are apparently so boring in My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic that during a break-in, the nurses and even the mental patients will drop everything to help the security guards fend off the burglar.
- Okay, the mental patient will probably chase anyone, but the rest of them don't have an excuse.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable