Are you marrying someone you do not love? Did your whole family just die? Is the best man planning to kill himself at the reception? And perhaps more importantly: is someone singing about it? If the answer's yes, congratulations on your Sad Bollywood Wedding!
Your family and friends will help you walk to the altar if you're sobbing too hard to walk. The camera will lovingly linger on your tears and possibly those of the one true love
you'll never get to see again - but hey, maybe you'll sing a last song together and all the guests will join in to tell us how dangerous it is to fall in love...
A staple of Indian romance movies, the Sad Bollywood Wedding is what happens when marriage and melodrama collide to make people who watch the movie cry so hard they can't see the screen anymore
. Depending on the movie, the reason why the wedding is sad changes but you can expect amazing saris
, tears, drama - and maybe a last minute twist.
- Kal Ho Naa Ho: The bride cries all the way to the altar because she's in love with the dying best man. They get to have a last duet about how much they love each other but have to let go.
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai: The bride is in love with another man who accidentally ends up coming to her house on her wedding day. She cries and the groom drags her to the altar or so we think! He knows she's not in love with him and tells her to marry the other guy. HAPPY TIMES ALL AROUND.
- Kabhi Kushi Kabhie Gham: Anjali and Rahul get married right after her father's death and she cries at the altar.
- Veer Zaara: When Zaara accepts to marry a man she does not love, her true love Veer accepts to be thrown in prison to protect her honor.
- Devdas: Paro's wedding, complete with song and unhappy mother.
- Dosti: Friends Forever has two!
- The first is Anjali's wedding. She cries, Raj looks crushed and at the end of the scene, Karan falls to his knees and cries. The chorus of the background song? "Never fall in love/ Never fall in love/ Never fall in love."
- The second is Karan's wedding, because Raj insists on literally dancing himself to death at the ceremony.
- Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi: Taani's wedding. She's supposed to marry a man she loves but he dies in a traffic accident while on his way to the wedding. Then her dying father and asks her to marry Surinder because he doesn't want her to be alone.