Missing Teeth YKTTW Discussion
The amount of teeth a character has shows their personalityBetter Name
A character's dental state will often be used to show their personality. A young child will often have missing teeth, typically the front ones, if they are supposed to be energetic or innocent. It may be used with children who have had their baby teeth replaced to showcase someone who is troublesome or reckless. With adults it almost always showcases someone who is either poor, unhygienic, or rough.
- Finn from Adventure Time is typically shown to be missing a number of teeth. The official consensus is that he's a headstrong Idiot Hero who's always biting things he shouldn't, like rocks and trees.
- Ellie from Up has teeth in this fashion in her childhood flashback. She's a fiery, upbeat tomboy.
- The Simpsons
- Lisa's missing baby tooth (which she just lost) is interpreted as evidence that Homer & Marge are bad parents and their kids are taken away from them.
- Played straight with Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel, who has missing teeth and is a bumpkin
- Gummy Joe, one of the workers at the nuclear plant, credits their dental plan with saving his one tooth.
- Jebidiah "Cookie" Farnsworth from Disney's Atlantis The Lost Empire has only a scattered few teeth in his head, befitting a nutty old codger who believes the Four Food Groups are "beans, bacon, whiskey and lard."