Childish Tooth Gap
A character missing teeth, or having a gap between their teeth, to showcase them as either as being young or cute
"He is a protagonist with the hair of a Japanese anime and the tooth gap of every kid from recent Western animation."A character's dental state will often be used to show their personality in fiction. A young child will often have missing teeth, typically the front ones, if they are supposed to be energetic or innocent. It may also be used with children who have had their baby teeth replaced to showcase someone who is troublesome or reckless, to the point where they knocked out or otherwise lost their adult teeth. A gap between teeth (not due to a lack of teeth) may be used to make a character look more innocent or youthful.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- Subverted with Aiko from Oyasumi Punpun. She is introduced as a little girl with missing teeth. Punpun is instantly attracted to her and conjures up an image of her as a cute Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Aiko in reality is a Broken Bird, and it just gets worse as the manga continues. Played darkly late into the series, where the now-adult Aiko gets her tooth knocked out which makes her look similar to how she did when introduced. Within fifteen chapters she's Driven to Suicide.
- One Piece: Sabo in his younger years was shown with a missing tooth gap. While it might've been a naturally detaching milk tooth, the fact that he prefers to live in the streets may also contribute to that.
- Child!Fuka is shown to be missing a tooth at the beginning of ViVid Strike! (it's implied that it got knocked out in a fight with some bullies). By the time the story proper starts, the gap is gone.
- In the 2016 version of Runaways, eleven-year-old Molly Hayes is depicted as having a prominent tooth gap. This annoyed some fans, as this was supposed to be the Earth-616 version of Molly, whose dad was a dentist.
- Ellie from Up (pictured above) had teeth in this fashion in her childhood flashbacks. She was a fiery, upbeat tomboy.
- Darla from Cats Don't Dance has a gap in her teeth but subverts the cliche, being a strong example of Kids Are Cruel.
- Hiro Hamada from Big Hero 6 has a gap on his front teeth◊. He is the youngest major character but subverts it as he is a fourteen year old Teen Genius.
- 10-year-old Ben from Song of the Sea sports a tooth gap.
- Eleven year old Riley from Inside Out has a tooth gap.
- Hiccup from How to Train Your Dragon has a gap between his front teeth.
- White from Tekkonkinkreet sport a tooth gap.
- Melanie Martinez naturally has a gap in her teeth. This, combined with her clothing style and songs, helps accentuate her subversively innocent image.
- Lodo from Yo-kai Watch is a young looking youkai who is childish and likes milk. He has a tooth gap. It could also be related to his hygiene, as the youkai he is based on looks like a dirty, old man and gives people bad luck.
- In Tetrobot And Co, Maya has missing teeth in the photographs from her childhood.
- In Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Commander's daughter June sports a tooth gap to go with her kind-hearted youthful enthusiasm.
- Donatello has a tooth gap in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012). He's the most adorkable of the brothers.
- Beast Boy has a gap in his teeth in the second season of Young Justice. He's the youngest member of the team and is energetic.
- The titular protagonist of Clarence is missing two front teeth. He is an elementary school aged boy. Clarence is Fun Personified and a Wide-Eyed Idealist.
- Finn from Adventure Time is a Kid Hero with only a few teeth. According to Word of God this isn't stylistic. Finn is missing several teeth because he is an Idiot Hero who bites things like rocks.
- Spongebob Square Pants: Spongebob has a noticeable gap between his buck teeth. He's a childish and innocent Man Child.
- Parody Sue Chloe from The Fairly Oddparents has a gap in her teeth to accentuate her cutesy looks.
- Inverted with Edd from Ed, Edd n Eddy; he's the most intelligent and mature of the trio, despite having a rather large gap between his two front teeth.
- Subverted with Peedee from Steven Universe. He is a cynical Adorably Precocious Child.
- Cody and Mike in the Total Drama series have this, likely to show their Adorkable and vulnerable side.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.