Up for Grabs
A contest about who looks best in a Sexy Soaked Shirt
. Played for Fanservice
and out, or Played for Laughs
when it goes wrong. Such contests are usually referred to rather than actually depicted.
of Sexy Soaked Shirt
. Compare Wet Sari Scene
- In the magazine New Horizons, a couple of space ship officers are absent. They're not watching a Wet T-Shirt Contest—they're judging it.
- One issue of She-Hulk showed what the title would be like if different artists were responsible for it. The Adam Hughes illustrated segment mentioned Black Widow and Scarlet Witch being undercover at a wet tee-shirt contest.
- In Cinema Snob Reviews Frozen, Snob talks about Anna falling in the river, and that she could have entered a wet petticoat contest if her skirt wasn't turned to ice instead.
- Invoked in Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds In Paradise, the announcement of a wet t-shirt contest is used to clear out an arena full of fraternity brothers before Louis Skolnik, leader of the nerds' fraternity, can give a rebuttal to an unfair resolution proposed by the antagonist fraternity.
- This is used for an Incredibly Lame Pun in the Xanth novel Up In A Heaval. A group of kids have a stock of Wetti shirts, which are perfectly normal t-shirts until worn, at which point they soak the wearer and become transparent, and they decide they should have a contest, because that's what the shirts are for. And then some zombie girls wear them.
- Joked about on Canada's Worst Driver. Sergeant Cam Wooley said "This is looking like a wet t-shirt contest!" Cut to an absolutely soaked Mike Butt: "I've never been on this side of a wet t-shirt contest!" This was during the Water Tank Challenge, and Mike Butt was doing as poorly as any of the contestants do (they invariably get drenched).
- MST3K parodied the trope with the bots, and yes, the scene from MST3K may have inspired the Futurama one.
- In another Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode, the 'bots are trying to "recreate the college experience" (since they never got to experience college firsthand, having been built in a space station). They hold a wet t-shirt contest—with no one wearing the shirts. The shirts just soak in pans of water. The 'bots don't see what the big deal is, and Mike doesn't bother to correct them.
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia had a wet t-shirt contest interrupted at the last second because one participant was underage.
- NCIS had some fun with it during the second season when Tony discovers, thanks to a random picture in a bar (I think) that prude, fellow agent Kate, took part in and won one of such contests. He wouldn't let her live it down. Not that it mattered - she was killed by a sniper four episodes afterwards.
- The Big Bang Theory: Penny has won several wet t-shirt contests she never even entered, or knew she'd entered. As she explained to Leonard Hofstadter, it was usually when she was drunk enough to have spilt a lot of drinks over herself.
- In a season 2 episode of She Spies D.D. takes part in a broadcast-safe version at Spring Break, which is basically a dry T-Shirt Contest.
- Father Ted has an episode where Father Jack is shown to be dreaming of this one occasion where he was judging a wet t-shirt contest.
- Brad Paisley's song "Water" mentions one in one verse.
Daytona Beach on spring break
Eighteen girls up on stage
White t-shirts about to be sprayed with water
- Frank Zappa's album Joe's Garage has a track titled "Wet T-Shirt Night", which tells about one such contest.
- An interactive example in Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, in which the protagonist wields the water gun.
- Parodied on Futurama, where one is held for robots. They all short out.
- In The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, Suzi X is briefly seen participating in a wet t-shirt contest.
- Family Guy: When Peter becomes smart after going to the smartest cities in the country, the family gets him back to normal by sending him to the dumbest city: Tuscon, Arizona. When he comes back, Peter mentions that the city's philharmonic does wet t-short contests with chocolate milk.