Hallucinated Duplication YKTTW Discussion
Imagining every person you see or meet as one particular person.Already have? Description Needs Help Needs Examples
In Imagine Spots or Dream Sequences, a character finds themselves imagining every single person they encounter or meet as one particular person in their life. Sometimes, it can happen when seen Through the Eyes of Madness and symbolize an obsession towards a certain person. Needs a Better Description
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. In "Seeing the True Color" chapter, Abiru's eyepatch falls off, she sees that almost everyone in classroom are Kafuka, including herself when she sees her reflection on a mirror. This foreshadows Kafuka's true nature.
- In Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Satoshi started seeing his dead aunt everywhere after he had killed her due his growing paranoia.
- In Archie Comics, there was a "Little Archie" feature in which schoolteacher Miss Grundy sees every kid in class as Little Archie. When she runs to see the principal about it, he looks like Little Archie as well! Ditto when she heads for the school doctor. Or course, it's All Just a Dream.
- Taken Up to Eleven in Being John Malkovich, when Malkovich himself goes through the gateway into his own perception and finds himself in a restaurant where every single person is himself.
- Cheers episode "The Ghost and Mrs. Lebec". After Carla's husband Eddie dies, she starts seeing his ghost everywhere and thinks it's because he disapproves of her dating again. In one memorable scene she sees everyone in the bar wearing a hockey mask, thus appearing to be the ghost.
- In the last season of Charmed the Angel of Death informs Piper that her husband, Leo, is about to die. He only told her as a gesture of familiarity since he has run into her and her sisters a few times before. Piper refuses the news and casts a spell to hide Leo from Death. The spell works in such a way that every man (presumably in the world) looks like Leo to Death and to the girls.
- In a season one episode of Grimm, the Monster of the Week sees his abusive dad everywhere, leading him to kill.
- In The Simpsons episode "Flaming Moe's", Homer is resentful of Moe becoming successful with the titular drink he taught him, which was originally called a "Flaming Homer". He starts off imagining people saying "Moe", before everybody he encounters starts looking and sounding like Moe.
- The Fregoli delusion is a disorder in which a person holds a belief that different people are in fact a single person in disguise. The syndrome is often of a paranoid nature with the sufferer believing themselves to be persecuted by this person.