Maybe it's the local Cloud Cuckoolander on his game—or maybe It Makes Sense in Context, but either way, someone just crossed the bounds of sanity, and the only way to react is to stare into the person's eyes, and Back Away Slowly. Related to Screw This, I'm Outta Here!, I'll Pretend I Didn't Hear That and I Have Nothing to Say to That.
Examples: Film - Animated
Examples: Film - Animated
- Brother Bear: Kenai, who had just been turned into a bear, asks a pair of chipmunks how they can talk. The pair back away slowly partly because of this question and the fact that he's, well, a bear.
- The Force Awakens: In one scene, a Stormtrooper walks in on Kylo Ren having a fit and slowly walks away.
- Independence Day: While Jimmy demonstrates to Steve how kneeling makes it easier to kiss a superior's butt, Steve's engagement ring for Jasmine falls out of his locker and Jimmy picks it up for him. Another airman walks in just in time to see what looks like Jimmy proposing to Steve and slowly backs away.
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody: In "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Hotel", as the Tipton guests and staff fight with each other over a treasure hidden in the hotel, Arwin randomly shouts "DOGS HAVE CLEANER TONGUES THAN PEOPLE!", making everyone pause for a moment and take a step away from him.
- Samantha Who?: In one episode, Samantha confronts the woman who tried to run her over, a Psycho Ex-Girlfriend of her then-current boyfriend. As she prepares to leave, she is told "You shouldn't turn your back on me again", to which Sam scoffs, fails to be fearless and instead backs slowly.
- The Spoony Experiment: At the end of the second part his review of Final Fantasy X, Spoony is singing "A Whole New World" when Dr. Insano walks in to tell him that Mechakara has stolen Neutro, sees him singing, and slowly backs away.
- Dexter's Laboratory: At the end of "Dollhouse Drama", Dee Dee gets Mom to confront Dexter for accidentally breaking her Darbie doll. As they barge into his room, they see that Dexter (who had been having some major Sanity Slippage throughout the episode) has hooked Darbie to a medical device and he tells them to be quiet so she can "sleep", causing both to slowly walk out with disturbed expressions.
- The Fairly OddParents!: In "That's Life!", Mrs. Turner wins a gardening contest and is awarded a prize tulip, which instantly wilts because "Everything I touch DIIIIIIES!" Everyone present takes a step back.
Mr. Turner: Oh, Dinkleburg! Care to give my wife a congratulatory hand touch?
- Invader Zim
- In "Bolognius Maximus", Gaz backs away from Dib when he yells "Gaz! Taste me--I'M DELICIOUS!"
- In "Bestest Friend", Zim goes up to a kid and says he's looking to see if he's interested in being his friend. The kid says "I was born with webbed fish toes, like some kind of horrible fish boy. Wanna see?" and Zim quickly backs away with a disturbed look on his face.
- The Simpsons:
- In "Mr. Plow", Homer and the kids back away from an unhinged Adam West when he tries to do a campy 60s dance for them.
- In "The Principal and the Pauper", a man bursts in claiming to be the real Seymour Skinner at a celebration honoring the Skinner we know. As our Skinner confesses to being an impostor, Homer thinks to himself, "Keep looking shocked and move slowly towards the cake".
- Played Up to Eleven in "The Sweetest Apu", when Homer catches Apu having an affair at the Kwik-E-Mart and walks backward all the way to his house. The scene is repeated at the end, when Homer spies on Apu and Manjula having sex in their apartment and hops back home on his stilts.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Such a moment occurs in "Arrgh!".
Patrick: I'm so loyal, I haven't bathed in weeks!SpongeBob: But we've only been gone a few hours.Patrick: I know.(SpongeBob slides away)
- In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Link's response to Darunia dancing to Saria's song is to back away slowly.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.