Mayincatec Aztecs YKTTW Discussion
I notice we don't have a subtrope for the Aztecs under Hollywood History. The Aztecs are our placeholder for all ancient South/Meso American cultures, including the Inca, Maya and many others: this trope is all about crude lumping, geographically and in time. Let's describe the stereotype and get some examples.
- Lots of priests, religion and monstrous gods.
- Human sacrifice: cutting out the heart of a living victim atop a step pyramid.
- Big stone temples with distinctive stonework◊, usually equipped with traps and underground labyrinths. This visual trope can turn up all by itself.
- Sometimes hidden advanced technology and/or links to aliens.
- Feathered headdresses, clubs studded with chunks of obsidian, loincloths.
- Corn harvests.
- Gold. Complex stone jewelry: earings, necklaces, chest pads. ◊
- Ornate and colourful decorations, geometric patterns. Intricate and scary carvings.
- Jungle settings.
- An abundance of horrible wildlife, big and small, esp snakes, spiders and jaguars.
- A drug culture -- coca and hallucinogens.
- Close association with Conquistadors.
- Desiccated bodies in ceremonial outfits: unwrapped mummies.
- Cursed artifacts.