This is most commonly seen in non-animated media since a lot of the time the age change is a good way to get around the difficulties of using child actors (a teenage character does allow for Dawson Casting
afterall). Compare Plot-Relevant Age-Up
when a character is aged up in universe or SORAS
when characters age with no explanation. Note that when adding adult examples, it doesn't really count if a 24-year-old gets changed to a 25-year-old etc. For adults it only really counts if the age change is major. Also compare Hollywood Old
. Closely related to Age Lift
where a character's age appears to be changed but is not referenced.
Live Action TV
- In the original Percy Jackson books, the protagonists were around twelve. Chris Columbus's film changes them to around sixteen presumably to avoid comparisons with Harry Potter.
- In The Devil's Arithmetic Hannah and Rivka are 12 and 10 respectively. In the film Hannah is old enough to drive and get a tattoo while Rivka is at least fifteen.
- The Harry Potter films de-age Cho Chang and Katie Bell to put them in the same year while aging up Romilda Vane by two years.
- In the original Snow White fairy tales, the princess is 10-14. Most films usually age her up to around 16.
- The Pevensie children are much older in the film than they were in the book of Prince Caspian. Peter was around 12 or 14 but William Moseley was 16 at the time of filming. Caspian in the book was said to be around Peter's age so he was aged up too. The age change is noticeable in all the actors since there is only meant to be a year's difference between the two films but they were filmed three years apart.
- A Kid In King Arthur's Court is a loose adaptation of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court, with the main main character changed to a kid.
- In the movie of The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, the hyperintelligent pan-dimensional beings are played by children.
- In the book Jurassic Park, Tim is the big brother while Lex is a Bratty Half-Pint. In the film, Tim is younger while Lex is older and less bratty.
- Mary Poppins never reveals her age but was portrayed as an elderly woman in the books while in the film she was played by a 25-year-old Julie Andrews.
- Dorothy of The Wizard of Oz was around 8 in the novel but was played by the 17-year-old Judy Garland. Barry Norman's book The Hollywood Greats says the character was meant to be around 14 years old. In the sequel (sort of) the character is the age she was in the books.
- In the movie version of Logan's Run, the inhabitants of the city are made older; In the book, they are teenagers and are being killed upon reaching maturity; In the movie, they are 20-something adults and are killed when reaching 30 years of age.
- In the movie version of Lolita, the epynomous girl's age was raised to 14 (in the book, she was 12).
- In The Worst Witch books, Miss Drill was a strict older woman. In the TV series she is much younger than the rest of the teachers.
- In the original book of The Story Of Tracy Beaker, Peter is the same age as Tracy. In the BBC's adaptation, he is younger than her.
- In the book Stig Of The Dump, Barney's sister is younger than him. In the BBC's newer adaptation, the sister is older than Barney.
- A variation with Aisling in The Secret of Kells. The character is based on a genre of poetry where the spirit of an older woman appears and speaks about Ireland. Instead of a wise older woman, Aisling is a mischievous little girl.
- Rapunzel is a young girl in her original fairytale but Tangled ages her up to 18.
- Pocahontas was 10-12 in real life when she met John Smith but the Disney film ages her up to around sixteen years old.
- In Hanna-Barbera's version of Richie Rich, the title character was aged up slightly, so that he looked to be around 12 or 13 years old, in contrast with the original comics, where he was a bit younger than that.