Freezing is Feminine
In a group of superpowered people, the one with ice or water abilities is usually a female
Everyone knows and love Elemental Powers. Whenever a show features characters with various superpowers, you can pretty much expect many characters with power over the classical elements. It is also often for these people to work in groups, whether as Four Element Ensemble, or a trio of Fire Ice Lightning, or any other combinations. However, for some reason, in these groups the one with ice (or water) based powers will be female. When that happens, then this trope is in effect. The ice girl is often also the only female member of her group, but not always. If there is another female in the group, the other girl often has wind powers, although not as common as the ice girl. Note that being a girl with ice power isn't enough. She needs to belong in a group of superpowered people, and be the only one with ice power. It could sometimes be related to Women Are Wiser, since water is associated with peacefulness and that may be reflected by giving the water female a compassionate personality. Examples:
- In Fairy Tail, in Phantom arc, we get introduced to Juvia of the Rain, the only female member of Element 4. She's also the only one that joins Fairy Tail later on.
- In Avatar The Last Airbender, Katara is the water-bender of the Gaang.
- In Final Fantasy, the ice summon is almost always the scantily clad Ice Queen Shiva. She is the only female summon among the recurring summons. Other female summons usually only last one game.
- Subverted in Final Fantasy XII with the ice Esper Mateus the Corrupt. At first glance, Mateus looks like a woman being bound to a floating piece of armor. Then you read the Bestiary and find out that Mateus is male and he is the armor, not the girl. The water Esper Famfrit, being a Shout Out to Cloud of Darkness, might look like a girl underneath the armor, but is referred as 'he' and the armor is masculine.
- Persona 3
- Mitsuru is the ice girl of SEES. Her fellow female member Yukari, is the wind girl. The other two members, however, are Mission Control Fuuka and Stone Wall Aigis. Persona 3 FES introduced another female, Metis, who can use both ice and wind skills.
- Ice Personas in general tend to belong under the Empress or Priestess Arcana.
- The Final Boss mainly uses ice attacks while it's in Priestess phase and wind attacks while in EmpressPhase.
- Possible Ur Example is the four elementals according to Paracelsus, where the water elemental Undine is a nymph that lives in the lake. The wind elemental Sylph is supposed to be invisible, but most modern works will portray her as a winged fairy girl.
- BIONICLE typically had female Toa be the Toa of Water, starting with the first one Gali, who defended the all-female village of Ga-koro, which was by the sea and led by matriarch Nokama the former Toa of Water. However, ice Toa were usually male.
- Among the superheroes of Tiger And Bunny, Blue Rose is the one with ice power.
- The resident Staff Chick Elena from Grandia II is the girliest party member and specializes in water magic (which doubles as healing magic in the setting).
- Subverted in Persona 4. An Ice Person Chie will be your main ice user during the beginning, but then Another Ice Person Teddie joins and Chie stops learning ice skills, leaving the task to Teddie.
- In Mana Khemia 2 Fall Of Alchemy, your ice party member is Lily. (Although it's actually her Water Mana maid Whim that does all the fighting)
- In Atelier Rorona, each party member has an element. Fire, Earth, and Wind has 2 party members each associated with them. Water however, is only associated with the Shrinking Violet Lionella.
- In Kingdom Hearts, the three childhood friends Sora, Riku, and Kairi means sky, land, and sea respectively.
- In Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, the three main protagonists are Terra, Ventus, and the only chick Aqua.
- In Disgaea series, Omega and Tera level spells are usually depicted as summoning a powerful creature to attack the enemies. Almost all Ice spells summon a Cute Monster Girl of some sort.
- In MAR, the ice-user of the heroes' team is Princess Snow. The other girl Dorothy, although seems to be Non Elemental at first, is later revealed to be a wind-user.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable