A God Is He
Even if a character does not proclaim A God Am I, other people claim they are instead.
- Woman: ...Only a true Messiah would deny his divinity!Brian: What?! Alright then, I am the Messiah!Crowd: He is the Messiah!-- Monty Python's Life of Brian
- Monty Python's Life of Brian, from which the page quote comes, is an example of this trope being Played for Laughs as Brian is mistaken for being The Messiah.
- In Acts 12 of The Bible King Herod sets himself up on his throne and makes a speech to the people, to which they respond 'This isn't a man speaking, but a god!' At which point:
At once an angel of the Lord struck Herod down, and he was eaten by worms and died.
- In Skulduggery Pleasant: Kingdom of the Wicked, Kitana confesses at the end that her friend Doran was praying to Argeddion earlier in the story.
- Warhammer 40K has the Immortal God Emperor of Mankind, who quite blatantly denied being a god, but instead just a very powerful, if not the most powerful human alive. This denial came from the (eventually disproven) belief that faith powered the Chaos Gods, and thus denying faith would starve the Gods. It doesn't help, then, that after the Horus Heresy and his internment in the Golden Throne, his empire converted itself from the secular atheism the Emperor himself supported to a faith that revered their Emperor as a divine being who protected man from the various forces of Chaos and Xenos that assaulted their Imperium, with anyone who believes in the former (Aside from the Space Marines he personally created in his labs, but even that doesn't stop some folks) being declared heretics.
- The Dalek Emperor from Doctor Who is described as 'the God of Daleks' and the lower Daleks worship him as such.
- Oni from Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition claims A God Am I, and other characters seem to follow this in their win quotes:
Gen: The time has come to face a deity...Dhalsim: And thus a malicious god appeared, only to be felled by the flames of Agni.Cammy: Impossible... You truly are no longer human...
- However, some characters like T. Hawk are having none of it:
- Ogre from the Tekken series is described as the 'God of Fighting' due to his immense combat prowess.
- In Red vs Blue an alien civilisation that worships technology regard Church as their new god after he is reborn as Epsilon.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable