MedicalMonarch Medical Majesty YKTTW Discussion
Royalty have healing powers.
(Alternate name: Royal Touch) In many works featuring royalty, the king (or queen) has the power to heal the sick, whether as part of their duties to their people or as confirmation of their divine right to rule, based on the supposed ability of French kings to do this in Real Life. See also Healing Hands. A subtrope of Royals Who Actually Do Something and Royalty Super Power. Needs a Better Description.
- Lord of the Rings. Aragorn is accepted as king of Gondor when he uses his medical knowledge (acquired as a Ranger) after the battle of Minas Tirith.
For it is said in old lore: 'The hands of the king are the hands of a healer.' And so the rightful king could ever be known."
- A Study in Emerald. Queen Victoria is able to ease the narrator's constant pain from a wound he received from an Eldritch Abomination in Afghanistan. Of course, in this verse, Victoria is herself an Eldritch Abomination, one of those who emerged from the sea, triumphed over mankind, and ruled over it for thousands of years.
- Parodied in Guards! Guards!: when a group of royalists start claiming the King will right all wrongs, Vimes demands to know what wrongs the people of Ankh-Morpork are suffering. Someone comes up with "premature baldness", and another instantly replies "Ah, kings can cure that, you know."
- Similarly in Lords and Ladies, Nanny Ogg says kings are a bit magical because they can cure dandruff.
- Warhammer 40,000. The God Emperor of Mankind's throne is a holy place, and as such pilgrims hoping for healing come to Terra by the million, most of them dying of old age while still waiting in line.
- The protagonists of Dragon Quest V and Dragon Quest VI learn several healing spells before they learn of their royal status.
- Chrono Trigger. Marle the Rebellious Princess is the party's first healer, but before long she's outclassed.
- Warcraft III. Arthas Menethil, crown prince of Lordaeron, starts the game as a paladin and a strong healing spell. Even after his Face-Heel Turn to Death Knight, he still has a healing spell (though it now heals undead and hurts the living).
- In most of the Ultima games, Lord British will heal the Avatar.
- The Princes/Princesses in Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City have skills that can heal as well as increase stats. You can also subclass a Monk (and vice-versa) for them to have more direct healing skills.
- She-Ra: Princess of Power has healing abilities.