A life form has just come into being, and is highly intelligent or physically skilled, but is a little less knowledgeable about common place things, like what a faucet is or how men and women interact. This being has the body of a fully-grown adult (almost Always Female), but little to no personal history. The hero, a typical down on his luck, fairly ordinary man, escorts this new being around, showing her the wonders of modern society and protecting her from those who would take advantage of her innocence. While not required, it is not uncommon for the woman to appear innocently naked, being unaware of the social taboos or other implications of that action. The trope name comes from the idiom "born yesterday," meaning that someone is extremely naive or ignorant; being literally born yesterday is not a requirement of the trope, but could possibly be used given the nature of science fiction. It is related to the 1950 film Born Yesterday, in which a woman who is purposefully ignorant is educated by a smarter man. The gender-swapped version of this trope, where a naive man is guided by and romantic with a knowledgeable woman, is rare. When this does occur, his naiveness is more often played as humorous, not sexy, and if she falls for him, it's in spite of this ignorance not because of it. The name and in-depth analysis of this trope were introduced by Pop Detective on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thpEyEwi80) in April 27, 2017. See also: Innocent Fanservice Girl, Really Was Born Yesterday, and Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Examples of this trope:
- Leeloo from The Fifth Element is a literal case, where a new body was crafted from just a few cells of remaining DNA. She speaks a foreign, archaic language and requires Bruce Willis's character to show her around the world and complete her mission.
- Quorra from TRON: Legacy is essentially a human avatar for a computer program. As such, she is incredibly wise but usually takes everything literally. She is also an adept combatant.
- Sonmi~451 from Cloud Atlas
- Ashi from Samurai Jack Season 5.
- Nearly every alien female Kirk romances in the original Star Trek. This sometimes appears in later series, but with far less frequency.
- Chi from Chobits. A naive android with cat ears that looks exactly like a teenage girl is lead through life by Hideki Motosuwa,
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.