The person with a towering stature is significantly larger (in general size or, most commonly, simply height) than the rest of the cast (or Cast Herd), or is a lot bigger than a singled-out character from the supporting cast or cast herd which has been distinguished from the rest of the cast due to the fact that they are remarkably small in comparison to the character in question. Super Trope for:
- The Big Guy (which nevertheless isn't always the biggest person)
- Gentle Giant
- Giant Mook
- Huge Schoolgirl
- Large and in Charge
- Statuesque Stunner
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Sakaki-san of Azumanga Daioh.
- Koizumi of Lovely Complex, especially when compared to the other main character, Otani.
- Similarly, Ryuuji Takasu from Toradora!, especially when compared to Taiga.
- Most of the boys from Ouran Highschool Host Club are rather tall, but Mori is the tallest. This is further emphasized by him usually being seen with Hani.
- "Jumbo" from Yotsuba To, who tends to garner the reaction, "YOU'RE HUGE!"
- Guts from Berserk, with Grunbeld and Zodd on the bad guy's side.
- JP/Junpei of Digimon Frontier was a year older, fatter and taller than the others. In his human spirit form he was the most broad shouldered, and his beat form turned him into a tank. He was never quite seen as the most capable or even physically strongest fighter perse though.
- "Thing" of the Fantastic Four.
- The Hulk is this in almost any team that joins, standing at the impressive average height of 8 feet tall, and being even more impressively muscularly-bulky.
- Cyborg of Teen Titans is at least a head or two taller than all his other teammates, and broad shouldered.
- Played straight with Gregor Clegane in A Song of Ice and Fire, who is nicknamed "the Mountain" for being physically larger than any other man in the setting. Also, Brienne, the warrior maid, is the physically largest woman in Westeros, who towers over many men, as well.
- Sir Percival to the other Knights in Merlin.
Sir Gwaine: Why does it take you twice as long to change out of your armour?
Sir Percival: Because I'm twice the size of you, little man.
Sir Gwaine: (tapping him on the head) Then why is it that your brain is so small?
Sir Percival: (stands)
Sir Gwaine: (leaves)
- In Misfits of Science one of the misfits is 7'4" and can shrink down to 11 inches, therefore being both the tallest and the shortest member of the team.
- Warhammer Forty Thousand:
- The Catachan Jungle Fighters, Imperial Guard regiments from the Death World of Catachan who are essentially Badass Armies composed entirely of Ramboes that get sent to support other, more Redshirt Army-type Guard regiments; and Space Marines, 8-to-9-feet-tall Bio Augmented Super Soldiers. Ciaphas Cain's title character himself is an example, being over two meters tall.
- There also the Orks (and their Warhammer Fantasy counterparts, the Orcs): An Ork Warboss will always be the biggest and tallest in the group. The average Ork Boy is seven feet tall, and whichever Ork is in charge is often about a head taller than those under them; Ghazkull Mag Uruk Thrakka, the Warboss of the biggest known Ork Waaaagh!, is over twenty feet tall. There is no known upper limit to this phenomenon, and it's said that one Ork Warboss that the Emperor of Mankind had fought during the Great Crusader was even bigger and meaner than Thrakka, such that he had to team up with his son Horus to defeat it.
- Big the Cat, Dr. Eggman, Vector the Crocodile and Storm the Albatross from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- Bowser from Super Mario Bros.. The princesses are also much taller than the plumbers and toadstools.
- Tiny the Tiger from Crash Bandicoot.
- The Marauder is a head an a half taller than all other playable characters in Path of Exile.
- Sheena from Hey Arnold! is taller than some of the adult characters at only 9 years old. To a lesser extent, Stinky, who's tall and lanky and Harold, who's large and stout.
- Mikey from Recess is by far the largest out of the group.
- All of the Alicorns in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, especially Princess Celestia. Big Macintosh and Shining Armor are also larger than the average pony.
- Fat Albert is this to the Cosby Kids.
- Sokka is the tallest of Team Avatar and the most muscular until Zuko joined the party towards the end. Despite him being The Smart Guy of the team because he wasn't a bender.
- Bolin, though not the tallest, has the largest body frame of the New Team Avatar.
- Beast in Beauty and the Beast. Zero-Context Example.
- Jafar in ''Aladdin. Zero-Context Example.
- In the 2012 version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the lanky Donatello is noticeably taller than his brothers. Then there's Splinter who towers over all of them.
- Doris in Timothy Goes to School. Ironically, while being the tallest in the class, is the smallest in her family, with her brothers having Towering Statures over her.
- The eponymous Seven Little Monsters, with Seven being the tallest.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.