Alice and Bob are playing checkers. Bob is sure he will win; after all, he still has a lot of pieces left and Alice is almost out. But what's this? Suddenly Alice jumps six of Bob's pieces in one turn, ending her turn by saying, "King me!" or alternatively, "I win!" Bob is flabbergasted!
Often Alice is someone younger, more innocent, and/or dumber than Bob, while Bob is usually somewhat of a braggart that needs to be taken down a peg. May not immediately result in a win for Alice, but Bob is definitely going to lose eventually.
Compare Surprise Checkmate
- In The Rescuers Down Under, Jake the kangaroo mouse and Sparky the fly are playing checkers. Sparky uses one piece to jump most of Jake's and land at the end of the board. Sparky can't talk, but Jake mutters "Wise fly" and kings the piece.
- Variation in the Teaser of the Firefly episode "The Train Job". Mal and Zoe are passing the time waiting for a contact on a job by playing Chinese checkers, with Jayne looking on.
Mal makes a move involving a couple of jumps.
Zoe: That's a bold move.
I live on the edge.
Zoe makes a move with eight jumps and lands in Mal's goal.
Jayne: Nice work, dumbass.
Mal: I've given some thought to moving off the edge. Not an ideal location. Maybe get a spot in the middle.
- In a Calvin and Hobbes strip dated Sunday 25 January 1987, Hobbes makes three consecutive jumps, which triggers Calvin to Rage Quit.
- In an episode of Arthur, Arthur is explaining why he's such a good brother to D.W. because he teaches her things like Checkers. D.W. immediately jumps three of his pieces and shouts, "King me!" much to Arthur's disbelief.
- Arthur seems to like this trope, as the Brain wins in a later episode the same way.
- Jonny Quest episode "Attack of the Tree People". Dr. Quest and Race Bannon are playing chess while Jonny and Hadji are playing checkers.
Race: Doctor, I think you've got me cornered.
Jonny: Looks like I've got you cornered too, Hadji.
Hadji: I don't think so! [Picks up a king and makes four jumps, taking four of Jonny's pieces]
Jonny: Hey, I didn't see that!
Hadji: But I did.