Denied Redemption YKTTW Discussion
an evil character is considered redeemed by others, but cannot come to accept itNeeds Examples Better Name
- "I tried to destroy you! My hand isn't fit to touch yours."Merrick, Power Rangers Wild Force
- Merrick in Power Rangers Wild Force, who provides the page quote. After acting as a Duke Org named Zen-Aku during a stint of Brainwashed and Crazy, he gives the above quote and initially refuses to work with the Rangers. At the end of the series he begins Walking the Earth to come to terms with things.
- Final Fantasy
- Gabranth in Final Fantasy XII at the very end of the game. With everything else of value stripped from him, he has nothing else to fight for but his hatred of his brother Basch, and thus continues to act as an antagonist until Basch convinces him to find his pride again and aid them in defeating Vayne. Gabranth does help, but is fatally wounded during the fight.
- The spin-off Dissidia: Final Fantasy
- Gabranth is fully this trope, staying in a purgatory dimension instead of returning to World B because he finds no hope in the Vicious Cycle of war going on their ending.
- Golbez refuses Cecil's offers to join him and the heroes. He's not evil at all and Cecil knows this, but Golbez considers himself unfitting to serve the light.
- Riku has shades in Kingdom Hearts II, unable to face Sora and own up to his evil deeds in the first game, while he combats the forces of darkness on his own. That he delved so deep into the powers of darkness he's taken on the form of the former Big Bad Ansem is also a big factor. He becomes an Anti-Hero Atoner at the end of the game and in 3D, though still harboring doubts.