Heroic Red Team YKTTW Discussion
|Heroic Red Team|
The main character's organisation/team is red.Needs Examples
Do We Have This One?, No Launching Please [[red:Red]]. One of the most commonly used colours in fiction and very popular for protagonists. But what do you do when The Hero belongs to a team? Why, make the whole team red! Heroes Belong In Red refers to the tendency for the hero's team, house, or organisation in general, to hold the colour red as its emblem. Maybe it's because the colour has accumulated varied symbolic meanings over the years, or because it's vivid and draws attention. Or maybe, it's just cool to look at. Traditionally, red is associated with love, blood and sacrifice. However, in this case, it's most likely to be chosen because of its association with heroism and courage. If elements are used in the story, the organisation using red will almost invariably signify fire. Note that this has to include an entire team or organisation using [[red:red]] and various shades as a symbol, not just one character. In Boarding School settings, it may involve red uniforms as well. A subtrope of Colour-Coded for Your Convenience. Related and may sometimes overlap with The Law Of Chromatic Superiority and Red-Headed Hero. See also Heroes Prefer Redheads.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Jaden Yuki of Yugioh GX is put in Slifer Red dorm at the beginning of the series. Contrary to The Law Of Chromatic Superiority, Slifer Red is the weakest of the three dorms in Duel Academy.
- The Leaf village in Naruto is the military of the Land of Fire, and the only place where Fire jutsu are used. Although only the Hokage dresses in red, the Leaf symbols and the Hokage's tower (an iconic sight of the village) are also red whenever they are coloured.
- In Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, the symbol of the Gurren group is done entirely in shades of red.
- Harry Potter is a member of Gryffindor House, whose emblem is the lion, while its banners and Quidditch uniforms are red. Qualities asked of a Gryffindor? Courage, loyalty and chivalry. It's interesting to note he chose it, since the Sorting Hat told him he could have done great things if he had been put in what ended up being the rival house.
- The House of Haldane in the Deryni works wears red (from the field of the family coat of arms), including Kelson and his pages and squires. His uncle Nigel wears Haldane red when acting as Regent or otherwise standing in for Kelson (such as when he bestowed Kelson's knightly accolade).
- In A New Hope Luke belongs to the Red Team going after the Death Star. They don't really wear red, it's more of a radio code name.
- In Star Trek: The Original Series, crewmembers wore red, yellow, or blue, but starting with the second film, the senior officers wore red jackets over their shirts.
- Played with in Soul Calibur 3. In Chronicles of the Sword, the main character starts as a young cadet under the red flag of the Grandall Empire. However, after chronicle 15, Grandall is proven to be corrupted and run by an Evil Overlord. The hero then switches to the blue flag of Arthias, his own resistance force.
- In Drowtales, protagonist Ariel is a member of the Sarghress Clan, whose color is red. However, Ariel's color is purple, so she stands out amung her clanmates.