Fictional Zodiac YKTTW Discussion
The astrological equivalent to the Con-Lang
Fictional Zodiac Theme (You can edit this, To make it longer.) Sometimes Western and Eastern zodiacs and the Druidic Tree Birth Signs just don't cut it. Inventing new zodiac and horoscope systems is a nice way to add depth to a world different from ours, and a completely new birth sign/horoscope system can be used to give a basis for foreign myths and superstitions. Often they would be related to Constellations, an elemental system, Animal and Mythical Motifs or other themes. As the Western Zodiac as the basics of astrology fictional deviations would be used to inform character traits be connected to destiny. However it is just as likely that they are just parodying those concepts and not take them seriously. Regardless of which, 12 would be the most common number for the signs, as both Eastern and Western variants have themnote Compare Constellations, Eastern Zodiac and Western Zodiac.
open/close all folders
- Fan-written supplemental material for the Ravenloft setting gives it a zodiac based on the symbolism of the Tarokka deck, a Tarot-Expy published for use in Ravenloft games.
- Thir13en Ghosts has the Black Zodiac corresponding to the thirteen ghosts needed to activate Basileus's Machine and open the Ocularis Infernum.
- In Discworld the Disc has its own version of the zodiac. It involves such signs as The Small Boring Group of Faint Stars and Khefin's Eye 1-4.
- Eberron has the Dragonmarked Houses, With 12 Dragonmarked for each Houses. (Phiarlan and Thuranni both use the same Dragonmarked, The Mark of Shadow) and the 12 Moon.
- The Elder Scrolls has the thirteen birthsigns that the player can choose during character creation for certain bonuses.
- Final Fantasy XIV has the Twelve. a pantheon of twelve gods that correspond to an element, a month and a certain type of era. Players can pick one of them for an elemental bonus but this is more for flavor purposes.
- Pokémon Black and White has introduced a fictional zodiac loosely based on the Western one. The mons Incorporated into his are (in order of month) Sawsbuck, Simipour, Alomomola, Whimsicott, Boffulant, Klink, Crustle, Braviary, Gothorita, Scollipede and Fraxure.
- Kim Possible has "Animology", an color/animal type personality quiz that gets treated like horoscopes (in that some people consider it BS and other don't). There is also an emphasis on "Soul-Mates" (with certain combinations considered to be particularly compatible with others).
- The Winx Club official site has a fictional zodiac using mythical creatures such as Pegasus, Gryphon, Dragon and Triton.