Fanned Fingers Of Elemental Wrath
A character shoots fire, electricity, or glowy stuff out of their fingtertips, cackling optional
A character fans out their hands, curling their fingers in a menacing fashion and lets loose a blast of trendrilous energy like a living flamethrower. Powerful, perhaps even claw-like gestures are necessary. For best effect, use a a nice close-up of the wrathful blaster. The overall effect often suggests the blast are an extension of the hands themselves, extending from the wielder. Though a popular trope for villains, it can also be a particularly expressive form of vengeance by a heroic character. In grim and gritty settings with psi or magic, everyone may be doing it. This trope seems to have gained popularity with the release of Disney's Sleeping Beauty, including other fantastical works since. Improvements in special effects techniques in the 1980s, examplifed by the 1983 film Return of the Jedi and the 1984 special fx blockbuster Ghostbusters, made the lightning and fire that typify this effect more practical for live action. Energy beams flying from the hands is Hand Blast. Power Palms covers attacks that project from the palm; if this is a Ki Attack, this trope and Power Palms may overlap. See also Hand Blast for something that projects a coherent blast of energy like a laser. For more pointy-shooty ballistic attacks, see Finger Fire Arms. A Stock Superpowers and Ranged Energy Attack Tropes trope.
Examples:Anime And Manga
- Presea Testarossa in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha has the Photon Bullet spell, which she casts from her fingertip, allowing its use at point blank range, as Arf learns the hard way.
- In Full Metal Alchemist Kimblee often spreads his fingers out before creating an explosion.
- Gozer does this with lightning in Ghostbusters.
- Emperor Palpatine does this in both Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith. His understudy, Count Dooku, demonstrates this ability in Attack of the Clones.
- In Your Highness, a signature magical power of the Big Bad and the witches.
- Prominently featured on the promo poster for Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief.
- In Big Trouble In Little China, Thunder can manipulate storms and lightning using his qi.
- Dungeons And Dragons: The spell burning hands is this, with fire.
- Ganon in the infamous The Legend of Zelda: Wand of Gamelon Cutscene.
Ganon: "You DARE bring LIGHT TO MY LAIR? YOU MUST DIE!!!" *shoots energy from fingertips*
- There aren't any combat graphics, but the description for Paula's PSI Fire in Earthbound says that she sends out a sheet of flame from her outstretched hands in this fashion.
- In Skyrim, the first, starter set of Destruction spells looks like this. You can shoot fire, cold wind and lightning out of your fingers. One of the load screens shows a female wizard fanning her fingers (but no actual spell effects).
- In Sleeping Beauty, Maleficent has this power over hellfire.
- In Avatar The Last Airbender, lightning bending is sometimes shown this way.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable